Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By Inq720
#93890 It would depend where you see your projects going. You see... C++ is on the metal and compiled and already in machine language. Python is Interpreted so there are a lot of cycles just converting to machine code (that the ESP has to do) before it actually does what you asked and it has to do that for every statement from here to eternity. That'd be fine if you doing a Weather Station with 1 minute updates to your UI. If you need to do something with high calculation necessity, C++ is the only way to go (IMHO). Beside... In 50 years of programming, I've used Basic, Fortran, C, C++, C#, Pascal, Delphi, Java, and JavaScript. Once you learn the logic on one, the syntax is the only real difference... at least for most of them. C, C++, C#, Java and JavaScript even the syntax is almost identical. I find it quite natural to switch from C++ on the server to JavaScript on the Browser client. In fact, I tend to write the code the same... most of the time I can change my mind and cut/paste it from server to the client (or vice versa) and will have almost no clean-up.

But on the flip side, I hear... if you want to slap something together Python is fantastic. I think it also is a lot quicker in the development stage as you can debug it and change the code while its running. With C++, if you change one line of code, you need to compile, upload and run through the code to the location you're working on... at least 30 seconds on a mediocre i7 desktop.

Then again... maybe a Python expert will chime in and say I'm all wet and convince me, I need to add another language to my tool chest.
By Bonzo
#93894 I would go with Arduino as there are tons of code, examples and tutorials.

The very little I had to do with C++ ( watching somebody else ) was a pain as there were no functions; everything needed to be written. But I suppose once you have written the code you can use parts of it again.

I am using some Python on another project just for the hell of it really. Again Python has a lot of code examples; libraries etc. Out of interest I have found a simple Python IDE which you can see the results of your code straight away although I am using CircuitPython: Mu Editor.

I did not think about Python being slow and in all of my projects so far it wouldn't have mattered; but the one I am working on now could do with a speed boost.
By rpiloverbd
#93912 If you already know Arduino, you can program ESP8266 using Arduino IDE. No need to learn anything new. Here are some tutorials that will be helpful for you. These are about ESP8266. You'll get all information about pinout, datasheet, specifications, applications and the A to Z of basic programming of ESP8266.

https://www.theengineeringprojects.com/ ... cu-v3.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVbnnEMDSvU
By Inq720
#93918 Arduino ino is C++ with functions to talk to the hardware.