Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By paulfer
#53210 Thanks for the link. I have read that sooooo many times and made sure i have all of that correct.

Yes I was. Just repeatedly getting fatal error messages.

Now, after yet another fruatrating morning. The esptool.py just refuses to flash the chips.

I have completely lost faith in these 12e chips ive tried 3 now.

I was working on the TI cc3200 chip until i found out about the esp. Im totally disheartened.
By paulfer
AcmeUK wrote:To see if the chip is working go back to basics. Load and run a simple 'Hello World' sketch. If you set the serial baud rate to 74880 you will also see the boot messages.

Hi AcmeUK, yeah no, as I wrote from the start of this post, I already have the simplest of sketches programmed. It doesnt work. All the boot messages on 74880 are exactly as before.

The last try I am going to try is to reflash the chip with the original AT firmware. Does anyone know where I can get the lastet firmware? if I can get past this pesky waiting for packet header issue.

However, now when I try to flash the chip, I get this message (that i read a LOT of people get) :

Code: Select allc:\Python27\Scripts>esptool.py --port COM3 write_flash 0x00000 C:/Users/paul/l.bin
esptool.py v1.1
Connecting...
Running Cesanta flasher stub...
Flash params set to 0x0000
Writing 229376 @ 0x0... 0 (0 %)
A fatal error occurred: Timed out waiting for packet header

c:\Python27\Scripts>

I really have zero faith in these chips then. Unless I can be presented with a chip that works everytime and isnt "buggy" as everyone seems to say, i would rather stick with some decent chip from a major manufacturer.

I have literally wasted four days of my time on this. I have tried EVERY resolve on the forums, but these things just seem to be a silly waste of time.

What beats me is that the esp 1s flash up each and every time. but not the 12e's. I have 3 x 12 e's.

They all did the same thing.

Would not boot with ESPtool.exe
    Booted fine with ESPtool.py
    Never ran properly with even the barest of sketches; and
    ALL ended up with this timeout waiting for packet header error after a couple of re-flashes.
By AcmeUK
The last try I am going to try is to reflash the chip with the original AT firmware. Does anyone know where I can get the lastet firmware?

Try here http://bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1451

Have you tried a different code loader? If I remember correctly the NodeMCU flasher worked when the ESPtool did not.

Edited to correct reference to NodeMCU Flasher.
Last edited by AcmeUK on Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.