Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By pcm2a
#55717 There are a great many examples of how to send AT commands from an Arduino to the ESP8266. There are also many examples of writing sketch files to the ESP8266 and using it as a standalone device. Does anyone have an example of communicating between the two to pass data back and forth?

For example, the Arduino might read some data from its inputs, send that data to the ESP8266 and the ESP8266 handle the wifi delivery of the data somewhere. Also the ESP8266 may receive commands from the internet and will then pass that data back to the arduino for processing. Both are standalone units that are communicating with each other over their TX/RX pins or software serial.

So far I haven't located any example to do something like that but I'm sure it is possible.
By mrburnette
Also the ESP8266 may receive commands from the internet and will then pass that data back to the arduino for processing.

This implies that both (all ESP8266 involved) must have port forwarding enabled on the main router. Some individuals may view this as less secure than having the ESP8266 client initiate an outbound request thru my firewall.

I just had a major disagreement with an HVAC installation; the salesman installed an Internet connected thermostat that was hosted on the manufacturers' website. This was a deal-breaker and the management had to remove the thermostat and find me a nice replacement unit that did not include the WiFi.
Edited as requested... In a post-Snowden world, having data posted on public servers (Yahoo came up in the news this past week regarding eMail) one can never be sure of exactly how this data can be utilized if analyzed over time. For example, the unsavory criminal element could perhaps fathom when you were away from your home simply by how the temperatures tracked.

Ray
Last edited by mrburnette on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
By picstart
#56255 This board is no place for US politics.

If the prior post is not edited out I should get at least equal time.

I would like to state that my daughter at age 9 was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. It was before we had wholesome affordable health care introduced by Obama. Arlon Specter a Republican had Hodgkin's occur 3 times and since he was a Senator he received Government healthcare. Yes Specter voted against government healthcare for non military, non government employees and those aged 65 or less.
As parents we were placed in a death spiral of costs since after treatment my daughter had a pre-existing condition. This meant she was uninsurable by any other provider than our current one. You guessed it our Insurer raised our rates 30% each and every year until Obama's affordable health care became law.
Born tin the USA my daughter was looking to emigrate to a fairer democracy like Canada or Europe where children have the same opportunities for affordable healthcare as.any Republican Senator.
Thanks to Obamacare she now is contributing to the US tax base unlike the current Republican candidate for President.