Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By mrburnette
#56759 The colloquial expression for this desire is "Punching a Hole in the Firewall." It really does not matter what device you intend on using, you need to set-up your AP/router/firewall to allow packets from The Internet to "see" your device which is normally hidden.

Link to procedures to open up your firewall.

Good luck!

Ray
By Syed Niamath
eduperez wrote:

Can you configure your local router? In that case, there are two options that I have used before:
  • Configure your local DNS so "myserver.com" points to "192.168.4.1".
  • Configure your router to redirect traffic to "myserver.com" IP address to "192.168.4.1".

I can do that but this will be confined to that particular router, what if I want to use this kit in some other place?
By mrburnette
Syed Niamath wrote:
eduperez wrote:<...>
I can do that but this will be confined to that particular router, what if I want to use this kit in some other place?

NAT security will prevent you from using you "kit" anywhere on WiFi where the firewall has not been modified to map your LAN device to the Internet visibly. Just part of WiFi security; you must have permission or have someone with permission to access and modify the router.

Ray
By Syed Niamath
#57193 Thanks mrbunette..

Caught up with some urgent work couldn't get back to you immediately.

Yes, need router permission to modify. I am going through various resources to get a clear picture on this.

Also looking for a WEMO switch type solution where the user can punch his wifi password and start communicating with the ESP.