Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By DedeHai
#57660 Hey everyone,

I want to introduce a project I have been working on for quite some time: I call them Lambda Nodes.
Lambda Nodes are small wireless sensors based on NRF24L01 transceiver modules with the goal to be small, low price easy to use and open source. To my knowledge there is no such thing yet: either the sensors are expensive, bulky or closed source.

I designed the Lambda Nodes to be very easy to install. The software automatically detects the nodes, configures them and either saves the data on an SD card or streams it to a server like thingspeak, a MQTT broker, plot.ly or wherever you want. No more hustle with I2C libraries, wrong readings and messy wires.
Using the custom designed ESP8266 base station called the Alpha node you can easily configure the nodes with the built in web page and of course customize the code to your needs.

This is what it looks like:

And this is one of the sensor nodes (based on a BME280):

The project is in an advanced state, all the hardware is working and the software is almost ready to be released.

I recently made a simple introduction website on wordpress. There are more photos and a more detailed description of the project: Lambda Nodes website

Also I recorded a video showing the setup I made for the Zürich Maker Faire and the live data streaming capability:

Demo Video

Here are some specs of the advanced prototypes:

Radio frequency: 2.4GHz
    Transmission range: up to 70m
    Battery: CR2032
    Battery life: up to 3 years

Theta Node (Temperature)
    Size: 43x22x9mm (LxWxH)
    Accuracy: ±0.5°C
    Resolution: 0.02°C
    Sensor: precision NTC
    Range: -20°C to 80°C (up to 250°C with external NTC)

Epsilon Node (Soil Moisture probe)
    Size: 100x22x9mm (LxWxH)
    Resolution: 0.1% (0% is dry, 100% is fully wet)
    Sensor: capacitive probe

Kappa Node (environment sensor)
    Size: 43x22x9mm (LxWxH)
    Sensor: BME280
    Measures temperature, humidity and pressure

Alpha Node (receiver station)
    Size: 50x50x12mm (LxWxH)
    Uses ESP8266 for WiFi
    SD card for local data-logging
    Contains configuration web-page

Please let me know if you would like to me to have them manufactured for you, the minimum order quantity is 100pcs, the price will be around 20$ at this quantity, I already got a rough quote from Seeedstudio.
Sorry the project is not yet open source, it will be as soon as I get them manufactured.
By DedeHai
#57780 Thanks Dan for your encouraging words, good to hear you like it. I put a lot of effort into it but it was still fun to develop the hard- and software. At the Maker Faire there was a lot of interest in the project but I cannot seem to get it off the ground on the internet. Any tips on how to get more attention?
By danbicks
#57782 Hi @ DediHai,

I am not sure I would have chosen the NRF24L01, poor experience with these devices in my case and already a seriously overcrowded frequency, I would have opted for an RFM69 type solution, allowing a broad range of frequency's for communication.

A key point of focus would be to have an IOT website enabling users to create their own dashboards with instant message hooks, triggers based on device data etc. Bit like Cayenne! That is the road I would focus on.

Hope this helps.