Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By atexit8
#67282 I installed the ESP8266 Core for Arduino today on one of my ESP-01 modules with black solder mask.

The default setting for Generic ESP8266 Module, 80 MHz, 40 MHz, DIO, 115200, 512K (64K SIFFS), ck, Disabled, None failed with
Code: Select allerror: espcomm_upload_mem failed

I had to change one of the settings to 512K (no SPIFFS).

Can someone explain what this means?
By rudy
#67283 error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

It means it didn't work. No more than that. Have you had it ever work?

There are all kinds of things that can cause this. Not having the module configure in boot loader mode while resetting. The wrong configuration is another cause.
So the programming step fails. But what have you done before that point? What instructions are you following.
By atexit8
#67284 As I wrote above, the upload of the sketch would only work if I change the IDE settings to
Code: Select all80 MHz, 40 MHz, DIO, 115200, 512K (No SIFFS), ck, Disabled, Non

I am curious what 512K (No SIFFS) mean?

It is apparently something to do with the ESP-01 module itself.
By rudy
#67287 http://esp8266.github.io/Arduino/versio ... ystem.html

It is an area that is used as a file system. On the ESP-12 boards that I have there is 4MB of flash. 1MB is usable for code (see below) and the remainder can be set up as a place to store files like you would to an SD memory card. The file system can hold web pages, images, or log files generated by your code.

From what I understand the 1MB code space is split in two to allow for code to be uploaded OTA (over the air). This allows you to replace code from a running program.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8194