Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By WanaGo
#21332 Hi All

So to use the SD card with an ESP-12E, it has to use the same pins which are found on the older modules, ESP-07, ESP-12 etc, and not the new SD pins along the bottom of the 12E - right?

Are these SD pins the pins which are used on the Flash Chip or something?
Or are they used for something else specific?
I am strugging to find information about it.

I thought, and obviously wrong, that the SD pins would enable us to use SD mode to talk to an SD card, rather than having to use SPI mode. Using SPI mode on the standard GPIO pins is a pain, as I already use them for other things, and I was hoping the ESP-12E would enable me to use an SD card over and above the other pins already used up.

Bit of a bugger if that is the case.

I guess I will just use the SD card on my 4D Systems TFT LCD instead, and get the display to store/retrieve as required, rather than wiring it up direct.

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/product/uLCD_43D

Regards
WanaGo

EDIT: Bah, yeah just searched for ESP8266 D0 D1 D2 and came across this:
http://smarpl.com/content/esp8266-esp-2 ... and-gpio10
Gotta wonder, why these were even broken out... what function do they have if its essentially reserved for the Flash chip (or used by the Flash chip I should say), and therefore not free to be used by anything else, except if you hack the 201 to free up 2 of them as GPIO, but not possible on the ESP-12E without removing the HAT etc.
Sigh.
By tytower
#21340 My understanding is that they are working on getting the SDIO mode working but that it does not do so now . Those extra pins will probably become useful later to you . Have you looked at github ESP8266/Arduino about SDIO?

I also wonder if seting the pin functions might change those -see wiki above on pin functions and changes and special. Maybe function 3 makes them useable?
By SwiCago
#22017 Just tested your example sketch with an ESP07 & ESP12 It works flawlessly.
Only difference is that on the esp07/12 the pins are labeled gpio and not just io, but that is kind of obvious (at least for me it was)
Tested with a cheap 2GB micro SD card I had laying around :D
Thanks for the write up...

Code: Select allInitializing SD card...Wiring is correct and a card is present.

Card type: SD2

Volume type is FAT16

Volume size (bytes): 1965752320
Volume size (Kbytes): 1919680
Volume size (Mbytes): 1874

Files found on the card (name, date and size in bytes):
VIDEO/        2014-03-09 21:54:24
IMAGE/        2014-03-09 21:54:24
SYSTEM/       2014-03-09 21:54:24