Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By Barnabybear
PaulRB wrote:@BarnabyBear, could I ask one more favour? If I post this old usb/ttl adaptor to you, could you test it to confirm my diagnosis?

Hi, got it in the post today. Getting the same faults you did. Unless we both ended up using the same bad driver I think that was the problem.
By PaulRB
#27655 Thanks for testing that BB. As you are on Windows and I'm on Linux, I doubt it could be a driver issue. Wierd, though, isn't it? A fault that allows the sketch upload to apparently go ok but actually corrupts the data. And yet it seems to work ok for a loop-back test.

Please chuck it in the electronics recycling for me. Unless someone else in the uk with a scope and burning curiosity wants to have a look at it.
By Trillium2
#31580 Hi,

I've just recently registered so that I can learn more of the ESP8266 and saw this topic. It's a problem I have just encountered and as the topic is marked SOLVED is it inappropriate to send further posts? Would that mean I have to start a new topic on the same subject?
By Valdaine
#31662 Hi,

I encountered the same problem as described in this discussion and found some additionnal details. Let me explain you what happenned.

In June, I received my first ESP8266-01 to test the device with arduino IDE. I also bought FTDI 3.3V USD adapter. It was quite quick to set up. I had only some trouble with the flash programming that gives errors, but usually after 2 or 3 retries, I could program and the device operate. I made a small sketch that send Temp/Humidity data to a server and I can remotly switch ON/OFF a LED using MQTT protocol. The system has been operating for 3 months without any trouble.

In July, I brought some other modules ESP01 and ESP12 to test more applications. I brought also spare breadboards and spare FTDI adapter. In case !!!

First I had a lot of difficulties to programm flash. I discovered that :
- if I change in USB Serial advanced parameter windows (WIN7) "reduce "length of frame" to 128 (reception and emission), I have more success to program.

But, even if I program, I was unable to make these new software ESP to run (blink, simple serial write...).

I uninstalled/reinstalled Arduino IDE, ESP pluging, even test staging version, but I couldn't make one of them run.

In septemberI brought new ESP01s. Before uploading my software into them, I tested them with the AT already programmed software. I could connect to my wifi network, everything seems fine. I tried to upload my software (OK) but nothing after power on, only garbage on the serial line.

I took my first ESP01, the only one I could program 3 month ago, and read flash with esptool. I have now its 512K image. I wanted to copy it into one of the other ESP01 but I can't. I always get an error at writting adress 0x8400. I tried with esptool.py but also with ESP FLASH DOWNLOAD TOOL V2.3. They give me the same adress error.

From an hardware point of view,
- GPIO0 Is pull-up via 10K with optional GND strap
- GPIO2 is pull-up with 6K, and a LED-330R in parralel
- RST : 3.3V
- CH-PD, pull up 10K with 100n capacitor to GND
-3.3V Decoupling with 10uF near ESP.
-independant 3.3V power supply

Here is where I am. If anybody has any idea, I would be very happy.