Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By PaulRB
Barnabybear wrote:What do you have planned?

The project I was working on is a weather station. The outdoor part will have wind speed & direction, temp, humidity, light level & rainfall. The indoor part will have temp, humidity, atmospheric pressure. Each part will have an esp of some description to read sensors via i2c, connect to the net via my wifi router and post results to a web server which will display the current and historical readings on a website.

I am thinking of using an attiny84/85 to monitor the wind speed & direction sensors on very low power, and also use it to wake the esp from deep sleep every few minutes. The esp will then read the various sensors including the attiny's wind/rain readings over i2c bus. This I hope will keep the overall power consumption down to battery-powered levels.

For the moment I am using some cheap Maplin-style wind/rain sensors, but would like in the future to try experimenting with other methods like designing a sensor where I can measure wind speed & direction using one of those cheap combined magnetometer & accelerometer modules in some way.

Eventually I would like to read data and/or control various aspects of my house, like hot water temperature, performance of the solar thermal panels, solar voltaic panels, mvhr system, what the heat pump is doing and so on.

I realise this all sounds quite advanced for someone who has struggled to get a "Hello World" sketch running for over 3 weeks!
By Barnabybear
#27319 Sounds like a fun project, be sure to post updates, I'll follow with intrest.
PaulRB wrote:Eventually I would like to read data and/or control various aspects of my house, like hot water temperature, performance of the solar thermal panels, solar voltaic panels, mvhr system, what the heat pump is doing and so on.

The one you sent me is going to live in a tree at the bottom of my garden & switch 3 10W led floods (used as uplighters to make a feature of the trees), as part of my garden lighting project.
By PaulRB
#27342 Did a loop-back test on the old usb uart. Worked fine.

Neat project BarnabyBear. What am I seeing there? I guess the thing with the yellow component is a small 240VAC mains transformer to provide the esp with 3.3V. Underneath that is what I would guess to be a solid state relay?