Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By kolban
#25045 There is an Open Source project found here ...

http://eclipse.baeyens.it/

Which provides the ability to compile Arduino programs within an Eclipse environment. It seems to work by introspecting the configuration files provided by a board manager and generating Eclipse C Developer Tools Makefiles to build the solution. Ive tried to get this going with the ESP8266 Package for the Arduino IDE and get tantalizingly close. It compiles cleanly all the C and C++ files but when it tries to link-edit all the parts together, we fail with a few missing symbols. Ive tracked those down to the source file supplied with the ESP8266 Package called "cont.S" which I believe to be an assembly language source file. It is my belief that the Arduino Eclipse environment is not looking for nor expecting assembly language files to be part of the compilation mix and ignores them ... thus at linker time, we miss the needed parts.

I'm wondering if anyone else has walked this path? Could we get the maintainers of the ESP8266 Arduino package chatting with the maintainers of the Arduino Eclipse plugins? I feel that if they were able to pow-wow together, that they would be able to express the needs to each other.

My end goal is to be able to build ESP8266 programs using the Arduino libraries (and hence as though it were an Arduino of a sort) while using the Eclipse IDE for editing and building.

Neil
By kolban
#25148 Eureeka!! I am delighted to report that I got it working without too much hassle. The trick was NOT to use the release version of the Arduino Eclipse plugin but instead to use the nightly build. After some support from the package maintainer, he told me that he had added support for Assembler files and that was available in the overnights.

A couple of minor tweaks and edits that were not rocket science and all worked. I'll write it up for others to follow. The bottom line is that I can now use Eclipse to edit my source code and then compile and upload all without leaving the Eclipse environment. Exactly what I was hoping to do!!

Neil
By alonewolfx2
#25151 very good. i am searching this too. i used normal arduino ide with sublime text editor but eclipse very good.
By Ben Baron
#25159 Were you able to get this working with Arduino 1.6.x? I am not able to compile, it looks like it's missing the SmingCore header (no idea if it's related to my Arduino version, but I noticed all their docs mention Arduino 1.5).

edit: Tried with 1.5.8 and the advised 1.6.1 version and I get the same error. Also it's telling me to add my own make file, but I'm not sure what to do. Will dig through their docs later.