Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By krzychb
#28687 I am glad the issue is resolved as well as our confidence in s/w we are using is restored :D

@ridge - I am wondering how you test stability of your nodes (how often they go off-line). Do you use openHAB persistence or some external site like ThingSpeak or EmonCMS to store historical data and then review stability over time?

Cheers,

Krzysztof
By ridge
#28757 @krzychb,

I am using the BeagleBone Black that hosts Mosquitto and openHAB with a terminal and keyboard attached.
I keep two terminal windows open on the BBB to review the status of Mosquitto system messages and openHAB.
I do not use persistence to keep the sdcard activity to a minimum. As time and budget allow, I may look into getting a small solid state hard drive for a database of some sort. Historical data would be useful for advanced decision making algorithms. Interesting topics, just not my area of study.

Outdoor sensor systems and enclosures will likely be what I look at next.
Consumer weather station electronics are not totally sealed and last a fairly long time.
With the esp8266, replacement cost is less expensive than fancy enclosures. ;)

I now have seven nodes operating 24/7 doing typical home automation tasks like turning on lights when pir sensors are activated. Some nodes have been running for almost a month without any resets or missed actuations.
I would notice if a node went inactive from my day to day use of them. When I check the terminal window logs, I no longer see any errors at all.

Are you using emonCMS? I like the simplicity of the UI l for that program. I tried the sdcard image file for a RPi. I went back to openHAB for the ease of the MQTT communications before giving emonCMS the time it needed.
By krzychb
#28773 I like your reference to cost of esp8266 versus cost of enclosure. I hope we will not be beaten by other forum members for such lack of respect to our lovely chip :D

This is a good point regarding keeping the sdcard activity to a minimum. I host openHAB (together with Mosquitto) on Synology NAS so enabling persistence is not a problem. Unfortunately I was not able to get the charts to work. :( Therefore with no extra budget at all I have set up an account on http://emoncms.org/ to store and visualize data from my sensors remotely. This site declares you can push data every 10s :shock: All I had to do was writing scripts with JSON commands to send the data to EmonCMS. Fortunately this site (that is primarily for energy monitoring) does not care that I do not store any energy data :D

Krzysztof
By ashubhatt
#29859 Hey, thanks for the code.

I have just started working with ESP8266 & OpenHAB for the Home Automation hobby project. Was stumbled upon your post through different forums.

I would like to know is your sensor network still up & running?
Was the setup perfect enough to avoid any node resets?
What changes have you made (if any) to upgrade the system?