Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By teddlesruss
#49424 Here's as far as I've got: With the DoIT shield, it passes data to the Arduino via the serial port. That's why you have to switch the two switches to disconnect the two boards if you want to program the Arduino. Then you put the switches back and the Arduino uses its serial comms to communicate with the ESP8266. I've got it to write to a web browser using this in the loop:

Serial.println ("<head>");
Serial.println ("<title>The Do-Nothing-O-Tron</title>");
Serial.println ("</head><body><center>");
Serial.print("Test - Round #: ");
Serial.println (numl);
Serial.println ("</center>");
Serial.println ("</body>");

and then just do a delay and increment numl for the next round. That works, but I'm missing how to reload the web browser between pages so my output scrolls down the web browser a few times and then dies. I'm probably missing some very basic HTML thing, because if I reload the page, my counter shows the system is still incrementing, a few more instances fill up the browser page, and then it stops again.

Encouraged, I tried a few ways to get a signal back INTO the Arduino. Changing the URL from 10.0.0.22:999 (my chosen IP and port) to 10.0.022:999/test.html?TEST and so forth, and every way to read serial IO known to Arduino but so far haven't had any luck.

In order to see what was happening, I made a String variable and printed it back to the web page I was outputting, but so far nothing seems to have worked.

More frustratingly, there are hundreds of projects that use the ESP8266 directly, or as a standalone serial port added to the Arduino, but nothing that relates to the DoIT shield.

But anyway - hope what I got to so far helps.
By dal44
#55845 I finally got my serial wifi to do something. Thanks to you Mark. I also found that if you know the IP address in the DoitWiFi_Config for the server, ( I sat up a static address) you can access it the same way i.e. server ip address:9000. You may have to reload the page to get the latest posting. Now if I could just figure out how to make it work in the client mode.