Chat here about code rewrites, mods, etc... with respect to the github project https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By Angelo Santagata
#20482 Guys,

Im just starting out using arduino code on a esp8266 and Im surprised how slow the ide is..

The compile phase seams to take minutes, even for a hello world.. any ideas?

alas so far everything ive flashed doesnt work.. :-( Do we have a tutorial using the latest 1.6.4 ?
By Angelo Santagata
#20493 thanks,

However this doesnt cover the incredible slowness of the IDE compiling, (although this could be a generic arduino ide problem, gonna try another one) and secondly , flashing, am I correct that when I upload the sketch to the esp8266 I need to have the device in flash mode?
By torntrousers
#20501 Yes you need to have it in flash mode to upload, i.e. have gpio-0 to gnd when powering on, or some boards like the NodeMCU dev kit do that automatically now with the latest 1.6.4 IDE with esp support when you click on upload.

Something must be wrong or you have really slow computer if its taking minutes to compile a helloworld type sketch. On mine, its a bit slow the first compile after starting up, about 12 seconds for a small sketch, but subsequent compiles just a couple of seconds.