Chat here about code rewrites, mods, etc... with respect to the github project https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By Angelo Santagata
#20510 Hey buddy...

mmm Well I tried http://www.visualmicro.com/ in visual studio and its quicker but still in the minutes range.. As a positive though if its already been compiled you can deploy directly.

For some reason it now works fast.. So i think theres something environmental (Mental)... maybe virus checker????

but my sketch still doesn't run...

OK to reiterate some things & things Ive noticed.
1. I'm using Arduino 1.6.4
2. NodeMCU board (worked fine with LUA)
3. Added latest Arduino/ESP8266 board via Boards Manager
4. PC is Lenovo T440p, 12Gb Ram so plenty of grunt
5. Selected Tools/Board/NodeMCU
6. CPU = 80Mhz
7. Upload = 115,200
8. Programmer .. Well I dont see a ESP programmer so I left it default, it appears to have selected AVRISP mk2
9. "Hello World" consists of
Code: Select allvoid setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println("start");
}
void loop() {
  Serial.println("spinning");
  delay(2000);
}

10. hit Verify .. and bang it compiled in 10seconds...
11. Hit Send.... flashed in 10s or so
12. open Serial (9600).. dont see anything.
13. hit reset, see "0‚n?–4û!‹I…4ž‚":š¶ÖºÒ" nothing else..

Getting closer.... any comments?
And yes when I get this running Im gonna do a nice youtube video!
By torntrousers
#20514 That all sounds fine. I'd guess a power supply problem - how are you powering the esp? Often an FTDI adapter can just supply enough current to flash the esp but not enough for it to run, so if you're powering the esp just via the ftdi adapter try adding a power supply, even just a couple of AA batteries works.
By torntrousers
#20520 Right, and you'd said you were using a NodeMCU, sorry. Don't know then. The "0‚n?–4û!‹I…4ž‚":š¶ÖºÒ" type text you're seeing is at 74800 baud which the Arduino IDE doesn't support, you can use other terminal programs (eg Cooltermon Windows) that do support 74800 to see what its saying, but its likley not terribly helpful.