Chat here about code rewrites, mods, etc... with respect to the github project https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By danbicks
#21654 Guys,

Is it possible to download a file either CSV or Txt from a web server and store it on the ESP8266 or SD card?

This would be brilliant, could be like a config file for a given node type to set a configuration mode once the node become active in the field.

Has anyone attempted this on the Arduino IDE 1.6.4 platform?

Cheers Dans
By kolban
#21684 I'm newbie/novice ... so beware my thoughts ...

My thinking is that the ESP contains RAM and Flash. Anything downloaded can be saved in RAM but that will be lost on a reset of the device. The flash is where the read-only portions of the application are stored ... so that would appear to be immutable by a running program.

I would think that the solution would be add a separate storage mechanism such as additional flash or SD card and drive it through GPIOs. Perhaps on boot, the device could read the values from the storage and load them into RAM.
By cal
kolban wrote:I'm newbie/novice ... so beware my thoughts ...

My thinking is that the ESP contains RAM and Flash. Anything downloaded can be saved in RAM but that will be lost on a reset of the device. The flash is where the read-only portions of the application are stored ... so that would appear to be immutable by a running program.

I would think that the solution would be add a separate storage mechanism such as additional flash or SD card and drive it through GPIOs. Perhaps on boot, the device could read the values from the storage and load them into RAM.

You can write to flash either using some sdk methods or something like spiffs.
Why not play with nodemcu for some time to get another view?

Cal