Chat here about code rewrites, mods, etc... with respect to the github project https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By GigAHerZ
#25963 I would love to have fully event-driven environment for microchips' programming. I believe the power of microchip can be better used, if everything would be event-driven. Only, and ONLY obstacle there might be is big and efficient enough stack handling of all yet-to-be-called event handlers. (For example if there's a hardware interrupt, it should be high priority (compared to timers for example), so it should jump to the top of the stack and so it would be handled next)
But you would eliminate all the wasted power towards polling. The chip can even power itself down to some kind of power-saving mode for some periods, if the calling stack is empty.

I've developed some JS+HTML5 games and JS is really great at building event-driven system. I love it and i would love it on ESP.
By tve
#27897 Having coded quite some native esp SDK code, I'm also wondering where to head WRT arduino. I see two and half different pieces: the IDE, the API, and the libraries. Personally, I do not want to use the IDE, I wish I didn't even have to install java, sigh, personal preference. I would like to use the API because I'm familiar with it and it makes simple things simple. I do not care for making busy-wait work, I'm fine coding so each invocation of loop() runs in <1ms. I kind'a would like libraries to work, but I find that I modify every library anyway, so I don't care about 100% compatibility. I suspect everyone will have slightly different preferences or desires...