ESP8266 Webserver Project

Moderator: Sprite_tm

By dbetz
#53532 I started out using ESP-LINK but switched to ESP-HTTPD when I found that ESP-LINK didn't really have much available RAM. Now I find ESP-GINX. Are there others? Which HTTP servers are under active development? Can someone summarize the advantages of each? I like ESP-HTTPD because it is very light-weight. Are there disadvantages to using it?
By Sprite_tm
#53823 Dev of esphttpd here. It's still somewhat actively maintained, but I don't really add much more code to it: it's grown pretty mature. I have some edge cases and errors I need to look into, but I'm pretty busy these days; I'll probably be working on it again as soon as the ESP32 plus the SDK and documentation for it are fully released. I still do accept pull requests etc though.
By dbetz
#53846 It's good to hear you're planning to continue developing ESP-HTTPD. As you suggest, it's pretty stable right now and I've been able to use it successfully in a project I've been working on. I do see a few things I'd like to see changed though. First, there are numerous calls to malloc whose return values are not checked. It seems that this could be a source of mysterious and hard to track down bugs if the heap starts getting full and any of these calls return NULL. Second, I'd like to see either an extra argument to CGI functions to indicate why they are being called or, to avoid breaking existing code, a field in the HttpConnData structure with that information. I've added that in my copy as well as adding handling for the reconn callback indicating a connection failure. Should I submit a pull request for these changes?