Sming - Open Source framework for high efficiency native ESP8266 development

By kenn
#45391 I had Sming successfully installed (manually) as part of my 'Unofficial'-based dev environment last year, but I haven't touched it since December.

I'm about to get back into it, and I'm reviewing the Sming quickstart for Windows... but it installs so much... I already have Java 8, Eclipse, mingw, and these things also support other projects on my PC besides Sming, so I don't want to screw any of that up.

Any guidance for me? Is there a reasonable way to update just what i need, or is the best option to just let chocolatey do its thing, and try to clean up afterwards?

Last question; I also have a Linux VM installed; should I be doing my ESP8266 there instead of in Windows?

Thanks!
By kenn
#45892 Ok, I bit the bullet and did the recommended full-up windows install using chocolatey... and the world did not end. Java, mingw and eclipse went to the expected places, and the Espressif folder went where it usually does (C:\).

The only surprise was that Mr Burton's esptool2 isn't automatically installed; it's provided as source which you have to build and then relocate or map the exe into the path. Easy enough to do.

A reminder to eclipse n00bs - you need to create a new workspace, import the projects you want (eg \tools\sming.examples) and set the workspace up as a C/C++ workspace.

The provided eclipse version is Luna; I'm going to try updating that to Mars.
By RichardS
#50215 I followed the instructions online and for setting up SMING, however I can not open a PROJECT, the menu item is greyed out.....

Thoughts?

RichardS
By kenn
RichardS wrote:I followed the instructions online and for setting up SMING, however I can not open a PROJECT, the menu item is greyed out.....

Thoughts?

Yes... but you might not like it.

I've switched to the Arduino framework for ESP8266 :D I hadn't ever used Arduino before (I was a PIC guy), but damn, it was super easy to get started and it Just Works. And so much support and libraries. I've added the Arduino plugin to Visual Studio, so I have a better IDE to use when I want it.

I haven't completely given up on Sming, but my ESP8266 work has been dialled back to hobby, and I can get something up and working faster in the Arduino framework...

I'll revisit Sming when the migration to RTOS is more mature.