WIFIO is a dual Arduino WIFI module (ESP8266+ATMEGA328P) FCC approve-able with transferable licence. Can use the 328P for I/O expansion also...

Moderator: igrr

By RichardS
#27167 A few months back I designed the WIFIO. WIFIO is very special its 2 Arduinios in one. A ESP8266EX is onboard and ALSO a ATMEGA328P used both as an I/O expander or a real Arduino, its up to you how you use the 2 of them. I had thought due to the not 100% compatibility of the ESP8266 to be a TRUE Arduino that this would be an awesome team up on one board. You can use either as the master IC and the other as a slave. Also the programming header allows you to program one or the other through the same connector.

ESP8266 Arduino Support was added to it by IGRR, its still in boards.txt but is commented out for now, including the VIO (virtual I/O described later)

The module will be FCC'd at some point, and has a metal tin over the main IC's for compliance, also a RGB LED pokes through to allow for some creative status output. And the typical LED on D13 is still present outside the tin can.

At this point I thought it would be awesome for the Community to get involved and see where this project can go, do we use it as is, and maybe "KickStart" it and get it into everyones hands, not sure, lets see what people think first and take it from there, it can be a massive project for all to be involved in and it will have its own area here on ESP8266.com

The two Arduinos on board are connected by 2 wires and can be used as I2C communication.

IGRR has also created a (VIO) virtual I/O for WIFIO in the Arduino IDE, that is to say that I/O expanding code can run on the 328P that is similar to Firmata and when you code for example pinWrite(20, HIGH), pin 20 could correspond the the virtual I/O and behind the scenes the I/O on the 328P would go high, not any I/O on the ESP8266, this is what we car calling virtualized I/O and it allows for more and more I/O or PWM's or ADCs or DACs to be added outside the ESP8266 and sill be accesses in software as though they resided on the ESP8266.

A WIFIO.cc website has been created to house the WIFIO community.

More forums and chatter can be found here http://www.esp8266.com/wifio

Hardware Description Overview:
- Pins marked Exx are ESP8266 pins, all others are ATMEGA328P pins, SCL and SDA and shared
- FCC transferable licence due to tin can and separate on-board regulator
- Full 350mA for the user due to dual regulator design, one dedicated to ESP8266 for best radio performance
- On board antenna
- 4 layer PCB for good RF performance and again easier FCC certifications
- one RGB led connected to ESP8266 for status indicators and shines though tin can
- Typical D13 led connected to ATMEGA328P
- Programming header will access both Arduinos
- I2C header at end for connections to smart I2C sensors (coming later)
- 18mm x 43mm (0.7" x 1.7") very small

ImageFollow WIFIO on Twitter

By RichardS
#27186 TBD, not sure need to see if we would sell a million or 10... :-) Massimo at Arduino.cc has spoke to me some time ago just before the Arduino vs. Arduino trouble and was talking about making it a real Arduino but he seems to have lost interest, so that why I have "released" it for now to see what other would like to do with it.

Richard.