WIFIO is a dual Arduino WIFI module (ESP8266+ATMEGA328P) FCC approve-able with transferable licence. Can use the 328P for I/O expansion also...

Moderator: igrr

By RichardS
Dacom wrote:
RichardS wrote:
Dacom wrote:Hi Richard,
Why not use a secondary serial instead of I2C?
This way Arduino still keeps its native serial for programming / host comm and I2C. Just need to set two ports for RxTx should be no a big deal for any existing project.

Well the 328 only has one serial port and it was more important to keep that for the programming through bootloader... softserial is always a sore point, that would be the only way to do it serial, and again once serial is used it takes away from the users ability to use it for their own purpose, while I2C can get along with other peripherals.

But I hear ya its always a hard choice!

Richard.

I´m using SoftwareSerial.h , this way , I still keep the original serial port, connected to my USb-Serial adapter for programming, and I can choose pins 2/3 for ESP serial. So my setup() has serial.begin(9600); and ESPserial.begin(9600);
This way I keep I2C for barometric sensor at A4 /A5 .

I know softserial on UNO's and the like has always been a hit and miss thing, why is is better on ESP8266? What buadrates work for ESP8266? Whats the max?