A Basic Interpreter written from scratch for the ESP8266

Moderator: Mmiscool

By dilettante
#60250 I won't be surprised at all to find out that I have simply been doing something wrong and causing all of this trouble myself. I seriously doubt it, but I can't rule it out.

These devices work fine with anything else I have tried, only ESP Basic has resulted in failure. So I'll just run away from it and stick with LUA, C, etc. and call it good for now.

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions.
By forlotto
#60266 Okay well you can maintain the I give up thing and take the easy road out this is on you but once you get past the flash the long road is going to be easy I'd rather have the long road easy than the short road but the choice is your own you are a free man I cannot change your mind.

I think you should really put a good solid day worth of effort into getting this working you will get it if you followed all my hints etc...

I'd like you to stick around personally for the community benefit if that ain't obvious by giving you nearly all possible things I can recant back to you off the top of my brain well... I think and have a hunch that you may do something interesting. We at the basic community have a basic rule once you come you have to at least try to write code with basic. Really simple rule. =D

Welcome aboard put on your seat belt things are about to get fun if you can stick out the short difficult road.
By dilettante
#60517 I haven't written off ESP Basic, I'm just looking at other things until I can revisit the problem later.

Lua is not my first choice and contains so many deathtraps-by-design like JavaScript that I'd prefer to use anything else, even C when I only need a trivial program. So I have a lot of hope for Basic on ESPs and look forward to further evolution.
By flagtrax
#60520 I read the thread with much interest. In my glory days I did some Basic stuff, and I did see information on the Basic interpreter for the 8266 which piqued my interest. At this point I feel I'm too much of a newbie to get into it; having enough issues with Nodemuc/Lua, and Arduino IDE. Each seem to have shortcomings and/or bugs which has caused me to vacillate between the two. Adding one more would only confuse me worsee :lol: but I'll be watching with interest, good luck.