A Basic Interpreter written from scratch for the ESP8266

Moderator: Mmiscool

By dilettante
#59943 In case it helps, the Basic flasher displays:

Code: Select allUploading 520720 bytes from .\build\4M\ESP8266Basic.cpp.bin to flash at 0x00000000
................................................................................ [ 15% ]
................................................................................ [ 31% ]
................................................................................ [ 47% ]
................................................................................ [ 62% ]
................................................................................ [ 78% ]
................................................................................ [ 94% ]
.............................                                                    [ 100% ]
 ÿ=s÷

I assume that last line of garbage is supposed to be something meaningful such as the IP address?
By forlotto
#59944 Did you try a USB port on the back of your computer ? Did you try a different usb cable ? It is possible that your esp8266 is not soldered well to the dev kit this happens on rare occasion causing intermittent issues like this one. Did you try and do a format of the device. Once you get used to flashing the device what to look for and how to work it I assure you it comes natural at a point on what to do if this or that goes wrong keep at it you will get it this is a great learning lesson for you if it works with LUA it should work with basic by all rights you could grab the bin file from my OTA server and flash it with or use an older version of the flasher from the git hub and flash and just update it with the OTA link in the case that the flasher is causing the issue.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas
By dilettante
#59983 Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I have tried "thicker" USB cables and different USB ports on the PC. Same results. And in any case the LUA-based firmware always works.

Clearly I am doing something fundamentally wrong. But the Basic flasher is pretty simple and seems like it should be idiot-proof, and even using the NodeMCU GUI flasher to flash the Basic binary fails. Flashing completes and looks ok but the Basic binary never runs properly.

This is a V2 Amica devkit board so it ought to be pretty generic.
By forlotto
#59984 after flashing do you remove power to your amica board wait for a bit and then plug it back in ?

The thing that kills me is I know I could get it working but I would have to be there sometimes the process is interesting you may have to go into device manager and make sure the microsoft mouse or ball point driver that sometimes gets installed is not causing issues. Sometimes it is your actual wifi equipment that causes issues it is in most cases not the flasher nor the firmware it is something to do with hardware on your end almost always there was a build or two where this was not the case but it was quickly fixed by mmiscool.

Let persistence be your teacher just because you tried something once don't exhaust it as a possible issue either sometimes you must flash the device two or three times after having lua on there if I recall correctly its been a while since I resorted to lua for anything to be honest but the process of getting it back to basic was interesting at times. I would flash from one lua build to the other then clear everything with the lua tools then I would have to flash basic on to the device multiple times or something along that road when things did not go as planned along with messing with my wifi but after toying around for a while you get a feel for what is going on. Just like anything really you can read from a manual and have a degree you can even teach it but hands on is the best way to learn as there is always situational awareness which cannot be gotten through a manual and often troubleshooting is not covered in great detail.

Come on will you get your device running if you look at old postings you will find other people who are now pretty savvy had many of the same issues it was persistence that taught them as well. I wish you the best hope you breakthrough and get the feel soon do not be discouraged!