A Basic Interpreter written from scratch for the ESP8266

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Vlad Agri
#70425 Hello,

First of all thank you for this amazing tool, it's very easy to use. This is my second day playing with the esp8266 e12 and it's amazing. Had a bit of experience with PIC programming as well as Arduinos before.

I have a question related to the connection to a router. I have tried entering the credentials in the web interface and for some routers it connects for others no, in the serial monitor i get the "Failed WiFi connect".

Is there any security protocol that is not supported ? (wep/wpa etc) ? Any suggestions why 50% of the connections to router fails ? I noticed that old routers and less security works great, newer routers it fails. If i scan wifi i find the routers ssid (so it's not a matter of signal nor 5ghz networks) even for those that it fails to connect to.

Also a question about the wifi.connect() command. is there a way in the program to check if the connection was successfully ? One way would be to wget something from a knows source and see if you obtain the result but is there any built in function?

The next question is, after connection to a router (that does not has DHCP enabled) how does the ESP know what DNS server to use ? Is the DNS configurable anywhere ?

Thank you
By forlotto
#84617 The only way esp8266 works is on 2.4GHZ band WPA/WPA2 with AES.

OLDER TKIP/AES choices do not seem to work well with it in my experience.

Hope this helps I've used these settings with some newer and some older routers and all seem to be functional however you must be sure the the SSID for the 2.4 GHZ band is different from any band that uses 5GHZ band.

Good luck hope this information helps I've tried on some of the latest WRT based routers.