A Basic Interpreter written from scratch for the ESP8266

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Thanatos
#41279 Hello

I have two of the same ESP8266 modules and with both I have the same problem. When I tried connecting to the Arduino IDE, it just wouldn't connect. I tried with two different serial adaptors. In the end, I tried the method which is described on the esp8266Basic website (use the Arduino UNO and remove the chip).
With this technique, I was able to flash the firmware with the tool that can be found on the ESP8266Basic website (what is the flash size, though?).
In the end, I got things running, and connected to the module with my laptop. Once on there, I could visit the page that is described on the website (192.168.4.1). When I try to save a program (or load after that), nothing really happens. The website shows the saving progress and shows an alert that the saving has successfully happened, but when I click the "Run tab", nothing happenes. It just shows "Done..." or something like that. Even a simple
Code: Select allPrint "Hello world!"
End

will not run.

What is the problem here? I read somewhere that I need a solid adaptor (in current). Is it ok to use my usb port on my pc to feed my esp with 3.3V?

EDIT:
Perhaps I should mention that I constantly get this error when trying to upload code:
Code: Select allwarning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed

Also, I can't send AT commands (one time, I succeeded). I don't know what baud rate to set it to (I tried all). How do I know which rate to use?

I read that the blue have 512k flash and the black have 1M, so I know to set mine on 1M flash size (I have the black version).

EDIT2:
What I do sometimes receive in my Serial Monitor is the folowing text (115200 baud rate):
Code: Select all ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:4, boot mode:(3,7)

wdt reset
load 0x4010f000, len 1264, room 16
tail 0
chksum 0x42
csum 0x42
~ld
By Thanatos
#41495 After days of fiddeling around, I finally found more or less a solution to the problem.
The solution to the well known problem:
Code: Select allwarning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed

is that you need to connect the reset pin to the ground. Once it tries to connect to the board, remove the pin on either side or both and the code (or firmware) will upload!
The same goes for uploading code from the Arduino IDE. Just connect the reset pin of the ESP8266 to the ground of the Arduino board (or FTDI I guess). After compiling, when you can read the woard "uploading", immediatly remove the pin and it will upload successfully :).
By Mmiscool
#41517 Your baud rate must be set to 9600.

The road size depends on the moduel. Esp-01 s have either 512k or 1 MB flash.

Esp-12 boards like the node mcu will have 4 MB flash