Current News

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Mmiscool
#47462 Hello.

As you have probably seen from the videos cicciocb has posted there are some major changes coming to ESP Basic soon here.

As a result the 2.0 branch and documentation will be frozen. No new commands will be added to the 2.0 branch.

Version 3.0 is being actively developed. There will be some major changes to the syntax of commands that use multiple parameters.

commands like
Code: Select allbutton "click me" [branch]

will be changed to require commas between parameters. This will allow for complex evaluations to take place for each parameter like math and string concatenation.
Code: Select allbutton "click me", [branch]

Code: Select allbutton "Click " & "me", [branch]

The pi, po, pwi, pwo, servo and ai commands will all be going away. The use of the io() function will be required.
Commands like pi which return a value to variable will be removed as the io() function now takes care of this and can be used to assign a value to variable. Being a fuunction also allow for it to be used in an if then statement for logic.
old
Code: Select allpi d4 bla

Current and future versions.
Code: Select allbla = io(pi,d4)

All commands that return values that have not be turned in to functions yet will be turned in to proper functions such as the msgget command.

This is going to break backwards compatibility between older versions witch is unfortunate but necessary for the project to grow. It has come a long way from the cheap hack it was at the beginning when I started. It has improved significantly thanks to the efforts of cicciocb who has taught me a great deal more about how c/c++ really works.
I am a basic programmer first and foremost so grasping some of the concepts of c/c++ required some education.

It will be good for the project to grow and I hope that with the changes things will continue on the trajectory of success we have had so far.

The main take away here is that there will be significant changes/improvements coming to esp basic and that there will not be a new version published for a couple of weeks as there is a significant amount of changes to be made to software and documentation.

Thanks again for all the support.

-MMISCOOL
By trackerj
#47463 Nice evolution for ESPBasic.

I really hope that PWM function implementation will remain to the same quality level as in 2.0.
Have done already some tests with the new MPDMv4 AC Dimmer module, Forum Thread here : http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7891&start=24 and it works way better than NodeMCU LUA or others :)

Happy breadboarding,
TJ.
By Mmiscool
#47465 Internaly there is no change. It simply uses the arduino function.
By trackerj
Mmiscool wrote:Internaly there is no change. It simply uses the arduino function.

Looking forward to give a try to the 3.0 version when ready :)