Current News

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Mmiscool
#48143 Hello,

Just wanted to share some more about the progress that is happening.

The new version and docs are coming along nicely.

There are many commands that are being removed and replaced by function equivalents. The remaining commands will use commands and not spaces to separate each parameter. This is a short video showing some of the web socket improvements and how the commands are changing.

By forlotto
#48161 Syntax change is just for gui stuff and websockets or for everything across the board?

The remaining commands will use commands you mean commas I presume?
By Mmiscool
#48167 This is going to be for every thing.

Any command that has multiple parameters will need to have commas separating each param.

Many of the things that were previously commands are being turned in to functions.

The PWO, PWI, PO, PI and AI commands are all handled in the i/o function and the commands for these will be going away.

the msgget command is also gone. It is replaced by the msgget() function. There are many more changes like this just to make the language more constant.

In general command that would return a value to a variable are all turning in to functions and the original commands for these are getting removed.

The documentation for the new branch (Still under heavy modification) is located here.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EiY ... YyJon8/pub

I hope this is beneficial.
By forlotto
#48172 It will only benefit if there is added functionality imho.

We go from more simplistic to more complex without function then it is a loss but as I can see from complex equations to the drawing and websockets essentially keeping things refreshed the case and point is added functionality it is however a bummer in some respects as all examples will need updates all reference material to code etc this is a complete overhaul when you change syntax this drastically albeit likely a needed overhaul to make things possible impossible to predict early on. I hope moderation time is spent editing posts so they reflect the newest version. As old versions should be considered legacy versions maybe even a new basic forum should be started IDK and keep this as legacy info.

I am a bit curious though if esp32 will also benefit from all this added functionality I suppose one can only hope as for now the ESP8266 is a Basic machine in my book nothing else comes close when it comes to possibility and ease of use.

Even with all the changes I will need to read and follow though or risk having to do a lot of catch up I presume about ready to do some testing soon hopefully tonight providing I can find some missing drill bits spent about 45mins looking for them to widen a hole so I can add a header to a 5v 2a psu I have very annoying but need to do some cleaning I think with all the hurry up and get this done before bed things have been scattered about also two other more important projects that require daylight as well so better get off the forums lol!
Last edited by forlotto on Sun May 29, 2016 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.