By RigTig
#59964 zeroflag said
This code executed without any problem, and I can see an AP name "avago" from my laptop. When did you receive the reset signal?
Every few minutes, the ESP dumps and punyforth reloads. Not so bad, except when testing new stuff and I then lose my my code and have to reload it too.

Now, if your system is stable, then the ESP-12-F and its code can be assumed to be OK. All I have is the ESP-12-F module in a breadboard, with the few jumper wires to get it to boot correctly, power and io. I started with power coming from the USB-to-serial board, but even using a 3.3V supply from a regulator powered by a 9V battery made no real difference. By changing to just 2 AA cells, stability of the ESP module improved to 1 restart in 2 hours. It looks like I need to include a storage capacitor on the power inputs to provide for power surge demand spikes. I'll do that and tell you more tomorrow (or whenever).
IMG_2618.JPG

During that 2 hour test, I had both my phone and laptop attempting to obtain a stable connection to 'avago'. Neither succeeded, though I have not yet checked exactly how far either of them got and why they keep disconnecting. Please can you also check if you can get a stable connection from another device to 'avago'. If so, then it can only be the breadboard or power supply to be sorted. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By zeroflag
#59968 Do you have an esp based development board with bultin usb? If that one works then probably it's a power issue. It would be useful to check the output of the esp upon the reset (what is the restart reason). And what does your program do besides it creates a wifi ap?

I'll check the stability in AP mode tomorrow. I usually use it in station mode without any issues (it can run for months) but don't use the AP mode a lot.
By RigTig
#59993 Set up a dev board (ESP12E devkit by doit.com). It uses just the USB to supply power to the ESP module. For this test, I just let it boot into punyforth. Note that the punyforth has everything available from the release, not just the core. The setup is just the same as for that project to drive stepper (on hackaday.io). Even though the ESP does remember its IP information, I still load the three lines each time just to be consistent. Of course, I wait for the prompt '(stack)' before loading the next line, but he line sent is not echoed to the logfile. I've attached a sample log from about 10 minutes connection. Many thanks for looking at this, @zeroflag.
The file has 8 fatal exceptions: 1 code (9) and 7 code (28).

PS in station mode, all works just fine. stable and all, but I really want one AP to control 3 or 4 clients.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.