Place to put your Basic demos and examples

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Electroguard
#47020 Wow, that's a cracking little demo.

Anyone who wants to see how quick and effective the udp comms can be, should stick an RGB led on gpios 12, 13 & 15 and try mateys little demo above controlled by his udp_debugger with the slider buttons, cos it's pretty impressive, I can tell you.

I think it may be worth adding a link for the udp_debugger util to some 'sticky' location such as downloads, else people are likely to have more and more difficulty trying to locate it, and I suspect it's likely to become a 'must have' asset as more people start discovering the potential of udp messaging.

Update: I am ashamed to say that I stared blankly at the demo code for several minutes before realising that I didn't have a clue what it was doing or how it was doing it!
I'd noticed that the last used slider colour never went out, so I jumped in thinking I would sort it out, then had to slink away with my tail between my legs - my brain aint made to cope with such contortions!
By cicciocb
#47029 If you send, with the udp utility, the message directly with the ip address of the module (and not in broadcast as by default), it will be even faster.
It seems that the last code is not sent but, this is probably caused by the utility that send too much messages using sliders so some are lost.
At the beginning I implemented the rgb sliders to check if esp basic was enough robust to support a long series of udp messages, so the goal was to stress it.
The demo code itself, even if very short and simple, is based on bit manipulation functions so a little bit of knowledge in terms of boolean logic is required.

If you want I can make an explaination of the code.

Let me know
By Electroguard
#47034 Well, yes, I'd always like to learn when I can, but please bear in mind that I wouldn't want to selfishly sidetrack you away from the more important things you keep pouring out matey, so perhaps be one of those rainy day type things when you have a bit of spare time on your hands!

While I think of it - just an unimportant quirk I noticed about the udp debugger util which you might wish to know... when you (I) run it, it doesn't come up on top of any other open windows, but hides underneath all the others last thing before the desktop without any icon showing in the system tray, so you have to minimise all other windows that are open in order to reach it. That's not making a compaint about one of the handiest utils I use, it's bringing it to your attention in case it's not something you'd noticed.
By forlotto
#47068 I/O expander is very awesome and with a remote control even for easy IR control.

The usefulness of such a device can only be realized when someone knows this could be someone turning on or off many specific relays or even doing bit based dimming using the outputs at a high or low state flags like a dip switch to represent different dimming percentages or maybe if you wanted one could just type in the number of percentage they would like their light dimmed on the remote and it would set the expanded GPIO's to represent that amount and have a separate controller automatically do the ZCD for the percentage of dimming...

I am amazed there are so many uses for something like this.

EVERYONE should keep this in mind:

What we have here is two powerful tools to accomplish things never before possible with such small amounts of money.

If you can eliminate a task that takes 5 minutes out of your day every day something as simple as turning on or turning off lights all together it would be the same as buying 100 days of your life back over the course of your lifetime. On average a 5 minute repeating daily task cost you 100 days of your life over your lifetime !!!

Is automation really about being lazy ? Or is automation really about reclaiming more of your life to use as you would like it? You be the judge but their are people who would pay millions if not billions to live another 100 days.

Really even if you are a staunch advocate against automation for whatever reason these abilities provide you with tools from which puts you in control so you can freely control something when you see fit with a remote controller. Building your own device does add another level of security and privacy if done correctly as well.

This stuff is just way too cool I need to get my hands on GPIO Expansion and Some IR stuff so I can partake of these insanely useful tools. The possible uses are endless in my mind.