Post about your Basic project here

Moderator: Mmiscool

By picstart
#67496 [quote]Well it stands to reason that whatever rain fell on the sensors housing would obviously be moving towards it, whatever direction it was coming from.[/quote]
The above is almost true.
The radar sensor is not sensitive in all directions. If the board edge on was vertical it could only sense horizontal movement. It is the alignment of the board to the target not the housing...the plane of the pcb antenna needs to be orthogonal to the target and the target has to move radially relative to the antenna.
By Electroguard
Well it stands to reason that whatever rain fell on the sensors housing would obviously be moving towards it, whatever direction it was coming from.

The above is almost true.

Nah mate, of course it was completely and inarguably true - all the rain falling on the sensors housing had to be moving towards it ... else it could never have arrived on it, innit!

Only an item no thicker than the width of the pcb and falling in direct alignment to the plane of the pcb would show no footprint to both pcb surfaces, so something which covered the surface area of the housing would most definitely have some presence in the sensors detection footprint, even in the unlikey event that the pcb was vertically oriented. But yeah, you've obviously had dealings with these devices before, and I'll concede that in theory a razor blade might not be detected if it fell end-on to a vertically mount radar sensor pcb... but I'm more a practical type person, so I must qualify that improbability by saying "until it inevitably fell over sideways on landing, eh".
By Electroguard
#68001 Today I received the stainless steel folding dishes I mentioned a few posts ago.
So I tried one out - not really expecting too much - but was pleasantly surprised to discover that it gave reliable triggering of a 2m wide beam at over 25m (or 27 yards, or 80+ feet), without any twiddling or fine-tuning. That's actually very impressive.

See attached pictures for components used... feel free to substitue anything (or everything) with anything else!

Very Detailed Instructions:
Tape a programmed (see beginning of thread) esp device (I used Wemos D1 mini) to an insulated radar sensor.
Open out the folding dish and plop something into a pair of adjacent holes to prevent it folding up again.
Attach the esp+radar sensor to the dish using high quality chewing gum, or perhaps tie-wrap... (inside a waterproof box if you're really picky).
Bung it all onto something of appropriate height, by whatever means necessary.
Supply power to the esp+radar sensor, then bask in your low-tech hi-performance success.
By danbicks
#68035 That is seriously cool, mine have arrived, I had a tinker with one it seems to pick up movement from both sides of the pcb wow.

What voltage are you running the Doppler module off ?

Cheers

Dans