Post about your Basic project here

Moderator: Mmiscool

By SoC
#34459 you can also control your esp8266 over the internet by having it connect to an online server. and your app controlling your esp also connects to that server. in that way, your esp and your app can communicate with each other with out the need for port forwarding.
By Mmiscool
#34460 If you are using this for a smart home project i suggest you do some thing like the following.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Ashish8826
#34500 I tried the port forwarding - and its working :)

Regarding the App-server-esp -
Are their existing 3rd party online servers on a subscription basis - or should i set-up my own on-line server.

@Mmiscool -So sorry but i could not understand your picture - :?:
the server in ur pic is it like using raspberry pi as a server?

I have attached my current setup - can you add in this.

Thanks a ton!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By forlotto
#34521 You have two WIFI connections.

1 wifi router connected to the internet this is where your normal computers will be connected to.

1 wifi router not connected to the internet Local IOT and devices can be connected to this

1 server connected to both will function as a bridge allowing you to send stuff to the IOT devices without them being connected to the internet which will provide you the ability to have multiple IOT devices as well as the best security possible not allowing them to connect directly to the internet but instead having the server handle the communications with them.

This is how businesses that know what they are doing separate things. They have internet and intranet more or less.

Hope this helps as this is what MMISCOOL is trying to tell you.

These are basic networking concepts and principals if you need further help I urge you to possibly research a bit about networking basics etc before getting too involved with BASIC as these are more or less a skill set needed for what you are trying to accomplish. You may possibly need more hardware for this type of setup etc... It is a bit more involved but unless you want someone opening your garage door or whatever without your permission you may want to consider the extra security and protection reason being anytime you login anywhere you leave your IP and it is this IP which ANYONE can see you have a server of some sort running indirect access through the server makes it very difficult for anyone to access without exploiting your server first and hoping they can use that to gain access to your second layer of security your basic interface password. Most folks would move on to the next easy target the IOT device directly connected to their modem without password protection there are plenty of them to have fun with ;)

Good Luck hope this is an understandable explanation ...

-forlotto