Post about your Basic project here

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Mmiscool
#34523 That is a good explanation -forlotto.

Doing it with a small server acting as the internet facing side will make your smart home more secure. You don't want people to turn your lights on and off.

You could ad password protection to your devices but it would not be too fun to have to talk to each device on a different port number.
By Ashish8826
#34534 Yes, i understand now, thanks for the simple explanation.

Right now - i am not planning to do smart home.

I actually want to gift something special (Like a LED inside a design) to someone special - which i should be able to tun on/off from internet.
Which is why i want to do it only using esp8266. Cant install all these things at her place.

After lot of googling i arrived at following setup - Setup an online database - on say godaddy or one.com.
Make an android app to manipulate data on this database.
Using esp - keep polling data from this database - and accordingly act.

Am i more or less right.
What will be the code in BASIC for getting data from an online database like a weather site to experiment. (If it works, then i can setup the online database)

Thanks a lot.
By Mmiscool
#34558 You can use some thing like the following.

Notice that domain name resolving is not working at this point. I will try looking in to that issue tonight.

Bla = wget("ipaddress/page.get")

This will return the contents of the page and place it in to the variable.you can then use if then statements to check for actions.