Report Bugs Here

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Electroguard
#56269 I tried doing a format from a new folder as you suggested. The flasher created the files and subfolder ok, but it still just gives 1 brief flash of the blue led then pops up an OK window a couple of seconds later without appearing to have done anything.

But now I'm confused about what is supposed to be happening!

When doing either a Flash or a Format in V2, the blue led gives a brief initial flash (presumably some sort of handshake check) then rattles away for over half a minute as it sequences through the addresses.

Doing a V3 Flash does the same.

But doing a V3 Format just gives a single brief flash, then pops up a window a second or two later without doing any sequencing through addresses.
I've assumed this to be wrong because it doesn't sequence memory as the V2 Format does.

But now that I've done a V3 Format from the SETTINGS page I notice that it doesn't sequence through either... it just gives 1 brief flash of the led then the browser loses connection - although evidently resetting something, cos any program is lost, and the Edit page is empty.

So I'm wondering if the V3 Format operation may have been changed to also just do a quick SETTINGS type of re-initialise Format, instead of the full sequencing format like V2 ... in which case it may have been working all the time?
By Mmiscool
#56279 the v3 format button really executes the format options for the esp tool exe file.

If you were to navigate to that folder in the command line and execute the following command it dose exactly what the flasher is doing. You correctly noted that there is no feed back displayed in the msgbox that pops up. If there was an error it would be displayed as any reult fro the commmand line is place in this msgbox.
esptool -cp COM3 -cd nodemcu -ce

The v2 formatter would actually flash a firmware file that would do a soft format on the device upon boot. Thats why it was significantly more involved to format in v2.
By Oldbod
Electroguard wrote:Thanks for taking the time to explain things, it all makes more sense now.

Snap! ....always something (in my case usually everything) to learn....