Report Bugs Here

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Mmiscool
#67026 You need to have the arduino environment set up with the latest stable arduino esp8266 package.

Use version 1.6.5 of the arduino ide.

Once that is set up you need to download the esp basic source code from the 3.0 branch and copy the included libraries folder over the arduino libraries folder located in "My documents"

The select from the board manager a suitable esp boar. normally node mcu works and click the compile button.
By trackerj
Mmiscool wrote:You need to have the arduino environment set up with the latest stable arduino esp8266 package.

Use version 1.6.5 of the arduino ide.

Once that is set up you need to download the esp basic source code from the 3.0 branch and copy the included libraries folder over the arduino libraries folder located in "My documents"

The select from the board manager a suitable esp boar. normally node mcu works and click the compile button.

Thanks, Mike, will give it a try again as soon as I will found a bit of free time. Last time (I think about 6-9 months ago) was no success. I was playing the game with:
-1.6.5-r2

Now I'm mostly on 1.8.2 as it's solving some previous issues, but can build separately a 1.6.8 environment if this is the secret souce of the recipe :)
By Electroguard
#67028 Great stuff - as soon as a Bug Exterminator Fund has been set up I will make the donation.
Hey TJ, if you are successful creating the dev environement perhaps you might document it for the likes of heckler and myself to join the race and try to beat you to the prize!
By bugs
#67041 I did once manage to compile a version by installing arduino IDE in a laptop which had no previous installation but I remember lots of file not found errors initially - possibly because I was not using the default c:\users etc documents folder.

So this time I used the main PC - but to avoid upsetting my current two working versions of the arduino IDE I used Oracle VM VirtualBox with a 32 bit version of windows7.
Installed Arduino 1.8.3 IDE - then read Mike's message again and installed 1.6.5.
Installed the ESP8266 boards in board manager following these instructions:-
"Start Arduino and open Preferences window.
Enter http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json into Additional Board Manager URLs field."
Open Boards Manager from Tools > Board menu and install esp8266 platform."
Selected Nodemcu 1.0 board.
Downloaded the ESP Basic 3.0.Alpha 69 zipped source files.
Unzipped the BASIC websockets source into the correct sketch directory.
Opened the ESP8266Basic.ino file in Arduino IDE.
Hit compile...

... and it did.
<limit of my knowledge reached>