Report Bugs Here

Moderator: Mmiscool

By forlotto
#33594 Under settings I change the AP name to IOTDEVICE and the password to iotadminpass then I save the data.

Result:
Data stays entered in the box.
SSID stays the same ESP and there is no Password.

I suppose there could be something I am doing wrong maybe... I am using a phone to access the device so I do drop connection then pick it up then drop connection and pick it up but the unit is holding the data it just is not broadcasting as IOTDEVICE.

8 chars I believe is the only requirement for a password.

The only info I have entered is AP info as well to be sure that the other info is not causing interference some how with the AP info entered.

Okay just gave in a tried with a laptop there has to be some way to change the standard wifi ap from esp to something else this portion has been killing me spent a couple of hours messing about again today still no luck is it a requirement for me to run code for it to actually change? The fact that it is running VARS or doing GPIO reads means that it is running something already IDK I am kind of lost with just the basic interface.

Maybe it is something simple I am doing IDK but I tried just about everything with no luck.

Tried flashing another firmware tried formatting tried reboot by pulling cord and by rebooting ...

Dunno what I am missing here.

According to the documentation this is how it should work without issue. Call me confused or whatever but the data is being overridden and set to ESP.

I really would like just the ability to edit the file that is loaded to change it so that there is no need to change anything on the GUI at this point because the GUI does not operate as advertised with AP or at least in my case anyways.

I should test connection to my access point as well something odd is going on.

Maybe I need to write and save some code for it to work IDK but if this is so then there is no real reason to have the data entry boxes if they do not automatically configure as appointed. Small issue really but it is an interface issue could possibly be that I am using the nodemcu which would be a bummer cause that would mean its back to the LUA grind for me and reinventing the wheel. I will have to figure out how to create a lua based page that asks for SSID and PASS info.

Anyhow maybe it is just hardware maybe not but any insight is greatly appreciated.

Time to test connection to my router.

Thanks in advance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT UPDATE:

It does appear to connect to my router without issues.

Still the hard coded ESP value is stuck and does not change no matter what I try. So it is half working but the AP portion of the IDE does not function correctly may want to use the force on that one and come up with a better solution possibly a way to hard code the info into the firmware...

strange that you don't provide a bin file really should work just fine with flashdownload tool would work a bit cleaner with nodemcu possibly.

Either way the AP feature is broken I am nearly sure of it at this point. Maybe its time to do a bit of toggling here to verify on the VARS screen to make sure that checks out will update with an edit or post depending.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit Update 2

Toggles work fine as well according to vars screen I was able to toggle without issue.

So that portion is working as well.

It must be just a bug in the way that AP is working which to me is mission critical for security if I cannot set a password for the AP then I have Zero Security in my eyes everything is basically open on basic I suppose you would have to be close by to do anything but still the best way to secure things I find is don't leave easy options like open local access.
Last edited by forlotto on Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Mmiscool
#33604 I have been testing and it seems to be working.
Tested in v1.26 and the new 1.27 build posted tonight.

The bin files are available on git hub
https://github.com/esp8266/Basic/tree/m ... sher/Build
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Mmiscool
#33605 Can you post a non working network name and password. Would really help in debugging this.
By forlotto
#33665 Odd after hours of messing about the thing just decided to work I wonder if it was because I finally decided to connect via wifi and changed my settings IDK but I changed the settings with my phone etc ... Now it all works you got me hours of messing about yesterday and on the weekend and today it just works...

I guess it is problem solved its like hitting the jukebox and getting it to work you can't quite explain it but it works lol

Anyhow sorry for this but it was driving me insane I am certified or so my piece of paper says I am to handle this stuff but really some days I wonder lol! This isn't the first problem I've seen in computing or electronics just randomly fix itself though and I'm sure you have seen similar before but this is just rather odd.

Is there anyway to change the AP IP to something other than 192.168.4.1 to something like 192.168.22.1 for example?

wow quite the red herring though...