Report Bugs Here

Moderator: Mmiscool

By forlotto
#40330 dwight I did post on this issue and gave a possible solution to the problem because it seems people are having problems with AP/STA modes and it has been an on going work in progress...

Please take the time to chime in there and tell me what are your thoughts on this solution currently yes you must set your STATION mode within your program not to have any conflicts which was my understanding...

But what I have introduced I believe is a fool proof solution allowing people to connect and stay connectected in station mode once the button is pressed and continue to connect or try to connect in that mode until a button that is pressed to disconnect in which case it will go to AP mode in accordance with your settings on the settings page I believe this would solve all issues. The problem stems I believe from trying to make it to easy with an automatic handler the problem I see is we need some user intervention to correct the problem a connect and disconnect button should provide the remedy to fix this problem.

To sum it up here is how it works

Under station mode information on the settings page you will have 2 buttons.

(Connect Button) when pushed your device is put in and remains in station mode until disconnect is pushed even after a reset or power loss or whatever.

(Disconnect Button) When this button is pushed your device retains all settings on the web page for your Station Mode and AP mode but it disconnects completely from station mode and enters AP mode with your supplied information.

I would still like to see the ability to change the IP of the device in AP mode to something other than 192.168.4.1 but it is not needed as we can have different SSID's etc but the problem with having the same IP's if you control a server that using several wireless cards to connect to each ESP and you send a command to the IP 192.168.4.1 for instance and it does the same operation like turn on a relay to turn on the light and on the other it may turn on a relay to open your garage door you may just accidentally leave your garage door open.

Anyhow maybe just leave your feedback here but I think this method would fix any persistence problems and/or problems with changing the AP name as I pointed out the AP name does no longer change from ESP to what you enter anymore either but these buttons should in fact fix everything and make it a lot more user friendly with a level of user intervention.

If this makes since...

Here is hoping I can get through on this one.
By heckler
#40423 Hi forlotto,

I don't have any real strong feelings on this issue of both AP and ST modes IF they are stable and it is well documented how to turn one or the other off.

Doing it from the settings page and have it be persistent seems like a great solution.

Do you see any issues if both AP and ST modes are using the same wifi channel??
I don't know enough to know if that is a problem or not.

dwight
By forlotto
#40450 Hrmmm I think you may possibly be on a different page then me IDK?

The problem that you described can be fixed by the solution I provided for Mike it would make everyones device work as planned .

As far as conflicts with the same channel absolutely there is conflict on the same channel within reason this is the reason why the suggest not using the same channel say as your neighbor. But beyond this the problem lies more so with preforming execution of ones program while connected via both methods by mistake. It is only made to handle one connection or the other not both from my own personal testing on this unit. I thought there was something wrong with my program but the problem was not my program it was that my phones wifi remembered the AP connection and connected to it automatically when I was trying to execute my program from station mode from my PC. The result is a perfectly good program looking like it is having a buffer issue and it is not it is the fact that you are connected in AP mode from one device and Station mode from the other device thus it causes the unit to freeze and reset after issuing button presses like a couple it becomes non responsive.

The second I changed and went to just AP mode the issue went away.

Mike has been very busy with all the maker stuff I did leave him a message containing this link but surely I cannot and will not nag him too much on this one while it is an important bug to fix for now you can get around it by integrating Station connection code into your program I believe. The implicit nature of the old code made it hard to change your wifi info at all but now that it is no longer implicit there is other issues personally it would be nice if the buttons were integrated as mentioned it would simplify things for all types of users I believe...

If not buttons how about a checkbox next to AP mode and a checkbox next to Station mode to enable the mode to enter if you want to mess with both have at it check both modes.... If you want to do just AP check AP and uncheck Station mode etc...
By Techecho
#48213 I am still learning this device and have the same problem, both AP and STA are in conflict. I do not consider there will be a problem with the ESP and Router being on the same channel I have had as many as 8 Routers and Wi-Fi modules in the same room and not run into conflicts. What seems to be the problem is the ESP is in conflicted with its authentication.
Being a wireless device adding a switch would cause limitations on usage, having a check box would make the most sense it would allow for either or both modes AP or STA or AP/STA