Tell me what you want, What you really, really want.

Moderator: Mmiscool

By forlotto
#33482 I wonder if you could have one esp send the information to the other units that are connected to it for example...

The url action invoked

Code: Select allhttp://172.16.0.182/msg?pin=2&stat=1&action=po/192-168-4-2

if it gets this message
it converts it to

Code: Select allhttp://192.168.4.2/msg?pin=2&stat=1&action=po

And then requests that url...

Call it the server ap

The only issue I see is are you allowed to function as an AP and still be connected to a wifi router on the esp8266 at the same time?

And how many connections or ip addresses can the esp provide safely without losing functionality.

Like I said multiple units is a longer term goal but all good stuff to know.
Last edited by forlotto on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Mmiscool
#33484 There can be 4 connection to the device at 1 time. I would how ever suggest using a server of some sort as a bridge between them. For even more security you could use a set up like in the picture with 2 wifi networks. 1 internal with no internet access, 1 external with internet access and a pc with 2 lan cards as a bridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By forlotto
#33515 yes good thinking hrmmm I wonder if the raspberry pi would do the trick I could use 2 wifi adapters connect one to the wifi and the other to the internal wifi I have about 4 routers laying around or so one with a jtag on it and DDWRT another with tomato firmware and the rest just stock but I would really love to have real fabric not shortcut consumer grade stuff maybe some day as it sits it is my main roadblock for getting 1GB/1GB up/down fiber I think the most I can pull is somewhere in the 450 range currently surely not worth the extra fee if I get only 1/2 the bandwidth. So in theory that topographical wouldn't be a half bad idea really surely would be a good layer of security but I am more so aiming for cheap ...

It is possible and my hope that the esp32 that is going to be released will have the means to handle more connections as I would need to scale stuff a bit larger than 4 connections although like you say if they all connected to a single router scaling is really not a problem as much as I could have 1 node send requests to all the other nodes through the lans maybe you could get it to parse the data for pin status or VARS as you call it from each device as well somehow I understand the benefit of running it with a server but this comes at a cost and when your objectives are minimizing energy costs and eliminating menial tasks I think it would be best to stick with nodemcu's wouldn't hurt to have another router as a bridge I suppose to clear the air I guess but it is still more power. I think the Cisco AC1750 is up for the task time will tell.

Multiple is long term...

The Device is short term.
By Mmiscool
#33516 So how's is it going. Have you managed to twiddle the I/o pins.

There is also the capability to make web pages with gui objects like buttons, text boxes and drop down using the standard commands. These wigets work by linking to a particular variable. Under the projects section of this form where some one built a nifty WiFi thermostat.