Tell me what you want, What you really, really want.

Moderator: Mmiscool

By forlotto
#37944 Is it possible to do UPNP port forwards where you can just directly tell your router much like bit torrent and other software does to make your ports accessible to the outside using basic so router configuration is not really needed.

I know a guy can set a static IP etc etc but the problem is that IP may not align with the variations of routers out there...

I would think somehow this would be possible so that no matter what DHCP assigns for an IP you could just go to www.whatismyip.com and use that IP I think this would be a very effective thing to help the not so network savvy.

After all it is used by some of the top programs out there to forward ports automatically I am sure this same method could somehow be used for basic as well providing the code is not insane.

Just a thought UPNP port fwd would be interesting while not a needed thing what it would provide would be worthwhile.

I know there are security issues with UPNP but most have been cleared up or at least the remote access forwarding by rules that only allow the port forwards to the specific IP if I recall correct anyhow just a suggestion for an addition.
By lucasromeiro
forlotto wrote:Is it possible to do UPNP port forwards where you can just directly tell your router much like bit torrent and other software does to make your ports accessible to the outside using basic so router configuration is not really needed.

I know a guy can set a static IP etc etc but the problem is that IP may not align with the variations of routers out there...

I would think somehow this would be possible so that no matter what DHCP assigns for an IP you could just go to http://www.whatismyip.com and use that IP I think this would be a very effective thing to help the not so network savvy.

After all it is used by some of the top programs out there to forward ports automatically I am sure this same method could somehow be used for basic as well providing the code is not insane.

Just a thought UPNP port fwd would be interesting while not a needed thing what it would provide would be worthwhile.

I know there are security issues with UPNP but most have been cleared up or at least the remote access forwarding by rules that only allow the port forwards to the specific IP if I recall correct anyhow just a suggestion for an addition.

hello you did it
I need to use upnp to facilitate reverse communication setup.
I found this but I could not make it work.
https://github.com/ofekp/TinyUPnP
By Mmiscool
#73838 Upnp is completly insecure and you should probably turn it off on your router.
By lucasromeiro
Mmiscool wrote:Upnp is completly insecure and you should probably turn it off on your router.

I need a reverse connection with my project made with esp8266.
Normally I do the port forwarding .... but in many cases this is cumbersome and problematic.
I need an easier way to have a reverse connection with my project, which can be opened from my site. That's why I thought Upnp. the connection can not be opened only by my esp8266.
What ways could I do this?