Chat freely about the open source Javascript projects for ESP8266

By OnlineDishwasher
#33971 When using this firmware, how much memory is available to write my code and to my app? Does the firmware I use change the amount of available memory or are all firmwares the same size?

According to this: wiki/doku.php?id=esp8266_memory_map, it would seem there is 248kb to play with, am I reading this chart correctly?
By forlotto
#33994 I think it was listed as 40k

As far as what you are talking about it sounds like storage for files and code.

Not 100% sure but I believe there was another posting about it possibly do a search etc about esp memory.

Take care
By kolban
#34013 For Espruino ...

There are two concepts in memory ... flash memory that is non-volatile and RAM memory. An ESP8266 uses external flash memory (i.e. not built into the ESP8266) and typically has 512K, 1MB or 4MB depending on the board chosen.

The RAM in an ESP8266 is fixed ... typically after loading the Espressif SDK ready for WiFi and TCP/IP, there is commonly about 40K of RAM remaining for applications. Of that 40K, about 12K is available for JavaScript programs AND variables and about 8K left in the heap for TCP/IP buffers. The remaining 20K is used in overhead by Espruino itself.

So the loose answer is that the total of application code source + variables/data is about 12K.

For Smart.js ... I don't have an answer but would love to know.