General area when it fits no where else

Moderator: Mmiscool

By PhilTilson
#53274 Well, after several days of frustration, trial and error, I have my module up and running successfully. I then worked my way through the on-line Reference for the BASIC interpreter and started running some example programs - which is where I ran into trouble!

It would seem that, because of the method I had to use to download the firmware, I am stuck with the 2.0 branch, whereas many of the examples only seem to work with 3.0.

Just to recap, because the PSF-A85 module uses a 26MHz crystal rather than a 40MHz crystal, the native download speed is 74880 bauds, rather than 115200 bauds. This is why I couldn't use the suggested Flasher program.

Using the NodeMCU flasher allowed a successful download, but for that I needed to access the correct .bin file. The file I used had the path and name: Build\1M\ESP8266Basic.cpp.bin which gives no clue as to whether it is the 2.0 or 3.0 branch firmware. It seems it's the 2.0 branch, as a call to version() gives the result ESP Basic 2.0.Alpha 24

Can somebody please point me to the correct firmware file for the 3.0 branch so that I can continue my investigation of this fascinating topic?!
By PhilTilson
#53404 Despite the complete lack of responses to this question(!) I have now successfully downloaded v3.0(41) to this module.

If anyone else has problems with this, just ask...

Phil
By forlotto
#53414 Sorry I missed your question I would have been able to easily address this one as most should have it is not an intentional thing believe me sometimes it is easy to overlook things or get busy with a set topic and get tunnel vision.

I guess your topic being better would have solved this it looks as if you are telling people more information about the PSF-A85 Module rather than asking a question about it "More on the PSF-A85 Module" Now if you are someone like me who does not really own the module maybe a quick mental evaluation of the topic would tell me that this is of little or no use. So if you changed your topic to "need help getting 3.0a41 on my esp psf-a85 module" I bet this would have been addressed by nearly anyone who knows where to get the latest firmware. Or something as simple as "where can I get the latest firmware?" would have likely sufficed. The very name of psf-a85 does not ring a bell right off the bat with me personally and I suspect it does not with others as well.

But for future reference there are many sources of this information that will lead you in the correct direction littered across the many postings or in guides pinned in topics.

Visit: www.esp8266basic.com navigate from there to the downloads page and download from the 3.0 branch.

Again my apologies hopefully you will understand why it is many may have missed your question.
By PhilTilson
#53429 Thanks for coming back to me, forlotto - my frustration was getting the better of me!

The problem I had was that one cannot use the usual download procedure with this module because it operates at a lower baud rate, so the Flasher won't work. What I hadn't realised, however, was that running Flasher creates a Build directory which contains the .bin file I have been looking for over the last three days!

Once I realised that, I was able to download it with the nodeMCU flasher which did the trick.

These PSF-A85 modules are really very neat - the 8266 with 1Mbyte flash in a 13mm square module which exposes 16 I/O pins - and at just $1.99 each, I really don't know how they do it!

Phil