General area when it fits no where else

Moderator: Mmiscool

By click22
#53739 Hello Michael,

I am trying to compile your excellent BASIC from GitHub and am close, but have a problem.

Which exact version of Arduino 1.6.5 are you using? 1.6.5, 1.6.5-r2, 1.6.5-r3, 1.6.5-r4, or 1.6.5-r5?

Version 1.6.5, which you mentioned, has no Windows installer .exe file, AND the .zip file has no Arduino application Arduino.exe to run. The only version with a Windows installer is 1.6.5-r5, so I used that to get started. (It's .zip file has an Arduino.exe.)

In the Aduino app's Preferences, "Additional Boards Manager URLs" field I put the URL you specify:
http://arduino.esp8266.com/versions/2.3 ... index.json
Then I used the Arduino app's Board Manager to select and install the "esp8266 by ESP8266 Community" version 2.3.0.

For the ESPBasic interpreter, I downloaded from GitHub the latest version Basic-NewWindowsSockets.zip (8/22/16). I put it's ESPBasic folder in the Arduino's projects path as
\My Documents\Arduino\ESPBasic.
I put its libraries folder as
\My Documents\Arduino\libraries.

Now my problem is that the bin I compile gives me a byte count of 488,683 for the Sketch + 47,432 for Global Vars, for a total of 536,115, which differs from the byte count using the ESP_Basic_Flasher. (I compiled for both NodeMCU board options; for Generic ESP8266 Module got a compile error.)

When I used the ESP_Basic_Flasher.exe version 0.0.0.0 to get the binary from the web, with upload parameters COMM4 and 4MB, it said,
"Uploading 499408 bytes from .\build\4M\ESP8266Basic.cpp. bin"

So there's some discrepancy (36,707) between these. Please tell me what I am doing wrong, or any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!
By Mmiscool
#53746 Use the following link to download the arduino 1.6.5 installer.

https://downloads.arduino.cc/arduino-1. ... indows.exe

In the boards manager url field of the settings window add the following json link.

http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/packa ... index.json

Install version 2.3.0 of the esp package from the boards manager located under "tools" --> "board" --> "Boards manager"

Delete all the libraries from the libraries folder in "documents\arduino\libraries" and copy over the contents of the libraries folder in the git hub for the the web sockets branch located here.

https://github.com/esp8266/Basic/tree/NewWebSockets

If the binaries files don't match at that point I don't know what to do except possibly make a complete package of my build environment and try to send it to you.

I had forgotten to upload the latest libraries I was using for the past few builds but with the latest build I remembered and updated that folder. If you have an older copy make sure to delete them and replace them with the latest.

If you make any changes of consequence or interest please let me know I don't have a problem merging them in to main branch. Bug fixes are also appreciated.

I have not released the source code or the build scripts to make the flasher as this is quite involved and uses absolute directory paths and some other tools that need to be installed so it is not quite straight forward for me to put that out there at the moment.
By Mmiscool
#53747 Also when doing a comparison it is best to locate the actual bin file created by the arduino ide and the bin files created when you run the flasher.

Place the esp basic flasher in its own folder.

When it is run you will notice that it creates a new folder called build in that folder. You can find the actual binaries there.

In your arduino preferences enable "Show verbose output" for both compiling and uploading.

It will show a bunch of text output at the bottom of your screen. Look for the directory that it builds from. Some thing like.
C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\build851025712275256242.tmp\

Keep in mind that this changes each time you compile. It just create a new temp folder. Search this folder for the .bin file.
By forlotto
#53755 Is it possible for you to zip all of the files up required to compile basic and add them to file dropper and pm me the link. This would be cool if not totally understand that anyone can go out there and get them. But it is always nice to know that one has everything needed in one spot.