General area when it fits no where else

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Mmiscool
#55551 The let command should only not be working for assigning a value to an array.

As for the flash sizes the only ome missing any features is the 512k module size. All other module sizes are supported as of now with the full set of features.

The 512k version is the 3.0 branch with features omitted at compile time. it uses the same exact source code as the rest.
By Mmiscool
#55552 Also all of the old 2.0 branch stuff is still kicking around. just hidden a bit better.

https://www.esp8266basic.com/legacy-20-branch.html

This page can be accessed from the downloads page.
By Electroguard
#55557 Thanks for clarifying things captain.

While on the subject of different core sizes and different available memory - if full V3 is capable of running on a 1Mb device... what are the relevent merits / demerits of flashing a 4Mb device as 1Mb or 2Mb or 4Mb ?

And might it be a feasible advantage if Esp_Basic could report back it's formatted core size? ... perhaps as an additional returned parameter of the 'version()' function (along with any extra possibly useful info).
By PhilTilson
Phil, I think the 'LET' command might now be incorrect...

Given Michael's response to this point, I suspect it may be better in the documentation to simply say that this is no longer required and should not be used - bearing in mind that I am talking about v3.xx (see later).
I know it would be more like 'Manual' content rather than just 'Language Reference', but it might also be worth finding out about variable and branch name length restrictions etc so that they could be documented.

I agree - I would like to know a lot more about the operating parameters of the language, such as you suggest, but I don't know where I would find such information! I'd be happy to incorporate it if someone can point me to a source.
Similarly it would also be useful to state the situation regarding flashing and mem sizes. The way I understand things, 4Mb is ongoing and includes everything, but anything less than 4Mb uses the stripped out 512Kb base version, so there are no intermediate steps for 1Mb and 2Mb? - but I may have picked that up wrong.

Now we are getting on to areas with which I am not familiar. As you may recall from my very early posts, I am using something called a PSF-A85 which uses the ESP8285 chip with a 26MHz crystal. As a result, I have great difficulty flashing these units and am ill-equipped to talk about this aspect.
The different cores does raise another documentation question though - if or when it might be worth considering flagging up those commands which are only relevant to the full ongoing 4Mb version... but that's not a suggestion, it's just food for thought.

I think Michael has answered this one - everything works on all but the 512K chip.
...but it's woken me up to that possibility, so prompts me to ask if you've got any sort of offline V2 doc already laying around ?

I have no experience of v2.xx so can't help here at all, I'm afraid!

Phil