General area when it fits no where else

Moderator: Mmiscool

By ilc
#44542 I appreciate everyone's patience and perseverance! By way of introduction I have dabbled successfully in the past with AVR's (using BasCom), Parallax Basic Stamp and Propeller (Spin), Netmedia BX-24, and more recently Arduino. I have progressed through the BASICs on the computer, including QuickBasic, Visual Basic, and now Gambas on the RPi. I am only a hobbyist but am excited by the possibilities of using BASIC on the ESP8266.

So here's a breakdown of what I'm doing;
- download latest stable version from http://www.esp8266basic.com/download.html
- connect nodeMCU via USB cable, my computer gives a little beep acknowledging connection
- start the basic flasher
- press and hold the flash button, press the reset button, release reset button (I get a brief flash of the blue LED on the ESP) then release the flash button
- select com4 and 4M flash size, and click Firmware Flash
- a blank cmd.exe window pops up for about 30 seconds and the blue LED on the ESP blinks rapidly
- cmd.exe closes, the LED stops flashing, and a dialog pops up saying "Uploading 421728 bytes from .\build\4M\ESP8266Basic.cpp.bin to flash at 0x00000000 .................................................(etc), and a similar message appears in the flasher window.
- connect to the module using Termite (Com4, 9600)
- press the reset button, ‚n?†$û!ƒ[13]{ƒ[04]O'[0E]Ïý"comes over the serial line
- cycle the power, press reset, same thing comes over serial
- Check wifi networks with WiFi Analyser and Fing, no sign of the ESP.

In the meantime I have managed to flash ESP Basic 2.0.Alpha 6 using the nodeMCU flash tool! Everything seems to be working although I haven't run any programs yet. Forlotto might like to add the nodeMCU flasher as a trouble shooting option in his excellent and very comprehensive guide to the nodeMCU. A power cycle was necessary, not just a reset, a step I may have missed earlier.

So I'm guessing there must be some problem with my computers (Win10) and the basic flasher, I don't know. I am however looking forward to enjoying mmiscool's sensational work, thank you for your efforts.
By ilc
#44709 Further to this, formatting using the Basic flash tool wasn't resetting wifi options. Loading the formatting bin using the NodeMCU flash utility worked. Contrary to what I wrote above I haven't found a power cycle to be necessary, a reset was sufficient.

So if anyone is having problems, I would suggest trying the NodeMCU utility to load the format bin (then resetting and waiting), then the current basic bin.

MMIStheCOOLest!