Post links and attach files for documentation here, also chat about these docs freely

By StefanL38
#8090 Does there anywere exist a documentation about the respond-behaviour of the firmware?

I mean I send an AT-command to the ESP8266 and it responds to this command.
But WHAT is used to identify END-OF-MESSAGE ? (character-stream)

Example

send "AT+CIFSR"
answer of ESp8266-module with non-printable characters as hexcode

AT+CIFSR
0D
0D
0A
0D
0A
0D
0A
0D
0A
OK
0D
0A

What I need most is information about what signals "END-OF-MESSAGE"

is there a constant pattern over all messages?
are there two or three variants?

how do you conclude full message is send don't wait any longer for more characters to come
the code can go one processing the data received.

best regards

Stefan
By kenn
#8260 Ignore the non-char bytes ( 0D, 0A)... 'OK' is the 'done, give me another' flag, for many of the commands.

Easiest way to get a good handle on this is
1) manually try all the AT commands using a serial terminal
2) find one of the several Arduino projects that interface to the ESP8266 via the AT commands and review it, to see how it's done programmatically.
By StefanL38
#8267 so this means MTFMYS? :? :cry: (Make the f.. manual yourself)

Does anybody know of somebody who coded a better firmware?
I'm a hobbyist. But at a certain point even to me time is money.
I'm thinking about switching to an UART-Wifi-module in the 30-40$-class with a good documentation

The vendor should classify the ESP8266-modules as FFHD (fun for hacking detectives) discover all the mysteries of the firmware.

best regards

Stefan
By kenn
#8782 -shrug-

It took me a couple of evenings last fall, reviewing the currently available AT command docs, and reviewing some of the great Arduino libraries already made, to figure out how to parse the output from the AT firmware. I've since moved onto working with C for the ESP8266 itself... but I wouldn't hesitate to use the AT library for the right sort of project if the need arose.

You're right that this isn't (yet) a nice shrink-wrapped version 1.0 hobby product, complete with a glossy manual. This is still out on the bleeding edge, and it's been great to watch and participate as Espressif and some really clever people work together to produce better firmware for this tiny beast. I've learned alot.