Post links and attach files for documentation here, also chat about these docs freely

By SpenZerX
#15350 Nice Model.

But when working with a tool like Altium why not putting the Components direct on the PCB? (Altium = mass production)
Can a normal pick and place machine handle esp-12 modules? Where are the pros and cons?
By Koelie2
#15377 Hey SpenZerX,

I use Altium also for all my really small quantity PCB's (below 10 pieces). What do you mean by placing the chips directly on the PCB? design an antenna and the whole thing yourself? ( this has a couple of disadvantages: Higher BOM, more parts to pick and place, bad reference designs) so its easier to just place a ESP-12E on your board unless you're doing +1000-10000 PCB's. I haven't seen them being placed by a pick and place machine. they don't come in reels, maybe if you use trays you can use pick and place.

like this:
PCB.PNG

Kind regards,

Koelie2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By SpenZerX
#15382 Hello Koelie2,

i am doing it like you. Placing ESP-12 on my PCB.
But why not converting the schematic of an ESP 12 (reference design?) in an Altium schematic document.
Replace small parts by bigger parts that can be handled by standard pick and place equipment.
Generate an Altium-PCB design similar to the ESP-12 of this reference design that can later be copied to the projects.
Finally in projects replace ESP-12 PCB from prototype design by this new design (Place parts direct on PCB).
I don't think the antenna is the problem. May be certification requirements? Size of components?

Iam no expert. May be placing ESP-12 PCB is cheaper also in low quantities < 10000.