Post links and attach files for documentation here, also chat about these docs freely

By Squonk
#441 From the immediately following tables "ESP8266 Standalone Mode" and "ESP8266 SPI-Slave Mode" that are not translated in Appendix, it looks like that MTDO must be low at power up for "Standalone" and high for "SPI-Slave" mode, matching the MTDO setting in the "boot Option" table just before them.

My guess is thus that "SDIO/SPI" boot option is for "SDIO" or "SPI-Slave" Mode, and "Flash Boot" is for "Standalone Mode" SPI Master Mode booting from Flash (default mode), unless GPIO0 is driven low, triggering the "UART Download" Mode to program the SPI Flash chip.

So, I don't think the ESP8266 has internal Flash memory, only OTP and/or ROM and RAM for both data and instructions.

But I may be wrong!
By tinhead
hackrid wrote:thank you very much for sharing. I really hope that we get more of such documents :D

from this document, it seems like the chip has internal flash?!

the boot options are: SDIO/SPI; UART; Flash
Screenshot_2014-09-11-11-23-59.png

I think most of us have used options 1 & 2, but did anyone try to set the pins to boot from flash? Does an application reside inside the esp8266 ic itself?

no,there is actually description below the tables which i haven't translated. One can run ESP8266 in standalone or SPI/SDIO slave mode. In standalone one can boot from extarnal flash or uart. In SPI/SDIO slave mode one can boot from the bus (SPI or SDIO, how to connect them is i thik in the ESP8089_onboard_RK_Platform Design GuideV1.pdf ), where of course one can still select to boot from uart or SPI/SDIO. This is due the internal bootloader which checks if UART boot selected.
By gwizz
#7829 Bit late probly, but you can either sign your DNA to the manufacturers to see the confidential data sheet, or just search for it online and read it anyway.

I'm still interested in this foolishness of a situation, see here: http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1144&hilit=does+it+stop#p6525