Chat freely about anything...

By fabian
#47471 Hi everyone!

As seen in the subject my problem is that I can upload programs via the arduino IDE, but then nothing happens. I tried with the basic blink example and with the CheckFlashConfig example.

My hardware circuit is attached. To flash the program I push the reset button (to set it low) and keep it pushed, then press the IO0 button (set it also low), then release the reset button and afterwards the IO0 button. Now I can flash the program. At uploading the blue led on the esp8266 blinks many times and then the arduino IDE says Done uploading. But then nothing happens at both programs.

When I push the reset button I see at the serial monitor at 74880 baud the following outputs:
At normal mode (IO0 NOT pressed)
Code: Select allets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x4010f000, len 1264, room 16
tail 0
chksum 0x0f
csum 0x0f
~ld

At flash mode (IO0 pressed)
Code: Select allets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(1,6)

My configuration at the arduino IDE is as followed:
  • Board: Generic ESP8266 Module
  • Flash mode: DIO
  • Flash Frequency: 40MHz
  • CPU Frequency: 80 MHz
  • Flash Size: 4M (1M SPIFFS)
  • Debug port: disabled
  • Debug level: None
  • Reset method: ck
  • Upload Speed: 115200
  • Port: COM4
  • Programmer: AVRISP mkll

If you need additional information just ask for it.

I hope somebody can help me.
Attachments
basicSetup.png
By bbx10node
#47519 It is not clear how your system is powered. I suggest powering your system using a 3.3V power source capable of supplying 500 mA or more.

If you are using the FTDI chip 3.3V LDO power output, take a look at the FTDI chip datasheet to see how much current it can supply. My guess is the output current is too low for the ESP.
By fabian
#47525 Thanks for your advice! I had no external power supply at first and I tested it now with two AA-Batteries and it worked. The reason why I used no external power supply was that I dont have a 3.3 V regulator at home and thought that the power output of the FTDI would be enough for the blink example program.

I also looked into the datasheet and my FTDI can only output 50mA.