Chat freely about anything...

By jonschoning
#5753 Since it is possible to connect to the ESP via wifi, while the ESP itself is joined to an internet-connected network, will a client be able to gain general internet access while connected to the ESP via wifi - and have the ESP "bridge" the client network and joined network (acting like a router) so that the client will have internet access?

the setup is described in this post:
http://bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php? ... ridge#p333

(This is not a question about using the ESP as a transparent UART to wifi bridge)

There are probably various levels of functionality here with varying levels of difficulty.

The most straightforward would be a so-called 'HTTP proxy' which proxies the connection between a client and a router

Maybe simpler is just implementing a SOCKS proxy, which is more difficult for the client, but if limiting to a supporting application such a s browser, would work for that use case.

Probably the most faithful solution, but most difficult, is implementing router-like behavior itself, complete with NAT (network address translation) in order to bridge the inner and outer networks.
By GWizez
#28571 What I have done so far, is between 2 esp, one connect on router, and one act as access point, is connecting both board, with serial, not very fast, but there are other possible port to use, and pretending to be a proxy linking 2 network, listing and adapting the network demand as it goes along.

Of coarse this imply that you must specify the proxy IP and port of your ESP_AP in your browser setting, that is a bitch. But one this is done, it's pretty transparent.

Next step, getting it to work on SPI for the Data transfer, to make it faster. and integrate I2C and an interrupt controller to on I2C to integrate and use this port for passing commands, to many Esp device acting as AP that work under another esp device that act as the STA that will connect on my internet router.

Many hours of bitching, I promise.

My point view is, To have a full duplex communication using proxy, you need at least 2 ESP, and no less.