Chat freely about anything...

By TechShopJim
#63023 I'm trying to get an Eye-Fi card and a Toshiba FlashAir card to work in a 3D printer with absolutely no luck. These boards time out, and have all sorts of quirky stuff going on that makes them unreliable.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to set up an ESP8266 so that it appears like an SD card to a device that accepts SD cards.

The idea is that you would "plug" the ESP8266 into a device like a 3D printer, camera, etc., and the contents of the ESP's flash memory would appear to the device as if it were a regular SD card.

Then the ESP8266 could run a file upload/sync program on its MCU that would allow files to be placed into flash memory over WiFI and appear on the SD interface for the device.

Is this possible? Any pointers or info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
By Ken271
#85312 That will work but you will need to use an older version of the Arduino esp8266 board “ 2.4.0” or “2.4.1”and an older version of the SdFat library “1.0.5 to compile it. It will compile but will not run if you try using up to date versions of these two libraries. And If you decide you want to build the device shown in their schematic you will need to connect GPIO15 to GND or it will not work. There are other changes that can help but that one prevents the device from running at all.
I rewrote his sketch for my own use and modified a display to use a Wemos Mini D1. Here is a link to the files.
https://gofile.io/?c=EVDsEY
You can use my rewrite of his sketch with his circuit diagram.

Several things to note. This will not work with some Creality or Anet boards We tried V 1.13 and V2.0 and V2.1 boards and they would not work. It works fine with anything else I tried it with. And it is not blazing fast, a large file might take 20-30 seconds to upload to the printer. ( the Toshiba wifi cards are the same speed ) .

f you do not wish to build one of these Panucatt has a very nice device called the " WiFi Backpack". You can google Panucatt WiFi backpack for information.

I decided to connect to the back of a display rather than use SD card adapters to plug into the SD card port.

And that's my first post ..