Chat freely about anything...

By heckler
#64073 In the recent past I have been able to post an image to a thread by putting the image file (.jpg) into my "public" dropbox folder and then copy the dropbox generated URL to the thread image link.

But several of my previously posted images are missing and the thread now just shows "image" where the picture used to be.

Dropbox recently changed the way the public folder works... is that why the images have disappeared?

How do you all post an image to the forum??

thanks
dwight
By RichardS
#64086 One of your links was https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187 ... 103219.jpg and if you cut and paste that into a browser it will report "file not found"

RichardS
By heckler
#64101 Question RichardS...

When someone uploads an image to the forum, does it actually get uploaded? Does a copy of what ever it was actually then reside in the forum??

Or does it always remain as a link to where ever the item came from. And if the user deletes the item (or dropbox ruins the way the "public" folder works) then the item disappears from the forum?

Is there any way to have the uploaded image actually become a permanent part of the thread?? If not then over time these threads and the valuable information they contain will change and evaporate as users change pc's and move photos around, without realizing that they just broke the connection to the forum by just moving a photo to a different folder or giving it a new name.

Dropbox has broken the Public folder that used to work to upload images, etc.
What is the best way going forward to do this?