Chat freely about anything...

By NickLD
schufti wrote:I do the compiling on an old hp notebook with CoreDuo T2300, 2GB and 40GB hd (so "stone age" compared to your system).

A fresh compile of an empty sketch takes over one minute the next compile 10s.
A fresh compile for a larger setch (WiFi, TouchGraphics, EEPROM, timefunctions etc) takes 1'30" and 27" for any following compile.

So what? That's what it takes ... it keeps you from solving problems by "trial and error", enforces thinking and analyzing instead.

I Would like to add that a few weeks ago I was having annoying issues with compile times, most aggravatingly with first full builds taking an excess of 3-ish minutes, and subsequent builds around 20 seconds.

That was shocking to me considering the PC I built has fairly reasonable specs (an i5-6600k overclocked to 4.3 Ghz, 16GB of RAM, and plenty fast enough SSD and HDD storage drives) especially for building micro controller programs, I would assume would be a piece of cake.

I recently decided to uninstall the esp8266 lib from the board manager, and instead use the GIT version to use some of the 'bleeding edge' changes made to help with Enterprise WiFi connections. After I started using the GIT version, somehow magically first builds of sketches consisting of 12 libraries takes now 22 seconds, with subsequent builds taking 5 seconds! Much, Much better than it used to be :)

Not sure if it was just a coincidence, or maybe something is different enough to make the GIT version build so much faster, but that's what happened for me. I suggest uninstalling the board manager version and use the GIT to see if it will have the same effect for you.